PDA

View Full Version : New guy

bestmapman
01-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I found the forum while searching google on how to write some code for excel.

I mainly work in Excel, CorelDraw, and ArcMap (ESRI).

Zack Barresse
01-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Very nice to meet you. :yes

bestmapman
01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Very nice to meet you. :yes

Thanks for the welcome. Are there many here who use either CorelDraw or ArcMap?

TrippyTom
01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I use CorelDraw, but only against my will. I much prefer Illustrator. It's so much more user-friendly.

I assume from your nick you make maps. I use MapInfo as well at work, to make maps. Do you use that ever?

bestmapman
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I use CorelDraw, but only against my will. I much prefer Illustrator. It's so much more user-friendly.

I assume from your nick you make maps. I use MapInfo as well at work, to make maps. Do you use that ever?

I have used mapingo in the past, but not recently. What version is mapinfo up to now? Does it have VBA attached to it now?

TrippyTom
01-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I think they're up to version 9.0, but since I work at a company that doesn't like paying or upgrading software without having to jump thru a ton of red tape, we're using only version 7.5.

I don't know if it uses VBA. I just use it to plot basic maps of cities around the world. Sometimes we use it for more advanced things, but it's rare.

malik641
03-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Welcome bestmapman! I'm sure you'll find this site to be very helpful.

I mostly code VBA in Excel and CorelDraw, but nobody asks about CorelDraw here, so feel free to ask questions on that!

Anyways, nice to meet you.

bestmapman
03-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Welcome bestmapman! I'm sure you'll find this site to be very helpful.

Hi malik,

I mostly code VBA in Excel and CorelDraw, but nobody asks about CorelDraw here, so feel free to ask questions on that!

Anyways, nice to meet you.

You're the first person I have run across that codes in Corel.

I have written code that Indexes. Basically it extracts the text out of artistic text and finds the x/y coords and outputs a grid based index

What have you done in CorelDraw.

malik641
03-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I have made some pretty cool things. It is only for my work, though.

My best work was when we needed a better drawing signing system because it was tedious and slow, so I made a "digital signing system". Basically I replicated their signature, put it on their desktop and made some code so they can click a button and then click where they want to import their signature. Then I added code to publish it to a PDF file for e-filing and it used an algorithm to place the file in a specific folder based on the drawing name.

I love CorelDraw's implementation of VBA. There's so many good examples in the help files and they have more event handlers that give you more control of the application.

It's a shame I don't get to code more in CD.

There's a whole site dedicated to CorelDraw with a VBA section.
http://forum.oberonplace.com/index.php

I don't like to send people away from our forum, but there's not much support yet for coreldraw. So if you would like, post your CD questions here or at oberonplace. I check both occasionally. They have some really good guys at CD VBA over there, too.

TrippyTom
03-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Joseph!

Thank you for that link. I really hate using CorelDraw, but sadly my company prefers it over Illustrator (so far). So I think I will peruse that link to see if I can get my feet wet.

[EDIT]-- bah! Apparently the version we have does not include VBA! :( Sad. Very sad.

malik641
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Joseph!

Thank you for that link. I really hate using CorelDraw, but sadly my company prefers it over Illustrator (so far). So I think I will peruse that link to see if I can get my feet wet.

To add to the fun, they have some macros made for download to help with everyday functions:
http://www.oberonplace.com/vba/drawmacros/index.htm

My job is the same way. I want to use AutoCAD and the problem is there are already 2000+ drawings made in CD, so I'm stuck making "engineering" drawings in a non-CAD drafting program. Maybe it was cheaper than ACAD??? I'm not sure.

malik641
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
[EDIT]-- bah! Apparently the version we have does not include VBA! :( Sad. Very sad.
What version?

Is the icon there and grayed out?

bestmapman
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
What version?

Is the icon there and grayed out?

VBA in CorelDraw started with version 9

malik641
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
To clarify, I asked TrippyTom that question because I have X3 at home and my VBA was 'grayed out' and unaccessible and I couldn't figure out why. I ended up finding out it was because of my Logitech Wireless Keyboard. Apparently when CD starts, you can hold F9 and it will disable VBA. For some reason my logitech keyboard has the F9 key in a suppressed state. I had to tap F9 before I started CD to fix this (this is for every startup of my computer). I thought there's a small chance that Tom might have this problem (given he has a version that does come with VBA, just disabled).

TrippyTom
03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
we have version 11. And IT is very strict about not installing stuff without their permission. Are you saying it's there, but they just didn't select that as an option when installing?

and yes... it's greyed out for me too.

TrippyTom
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Strange!

I tapped F9 before starting CorelDraw and it's not greyed out anymore, but when I try to go into the VBA Editor, it tries to open a Microsoft Office install window, then errors out.

malik641
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I would bring that up in the oberonplace forum. I'm sure they'd have some suggestions.

I don't know what to tell you about IT. Write up a form requesting permission to have it installed and send it to them by email or something. Also mention how much it would benefit the company. Also, you should have your boss approve before hand and copy him/her on the email.

Let us know what happens!