PDA

View Full Version : Excel in Word

Zephid15
01-31-2008, 09:17 AM
At work we have templates for quotations. They are word documents but have excel spread sheets inserted in. We have some elaborate code in the tables for discounts and such. The problem is that this is a very messy way of doing things. Jumping from word to excel can be demanding for the computer and users have the ability to mess things up.

Any ideas?

gwkenny
01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
If your are still in the Office 2000 platform, then definitely switch to using linked pictures.

The tendency for the object to corrupt or send Word into a tizzy was so prevalent at several organizations that I was told to jump through hoops to integrate with the document management system for saving the Excel file.

It happens a lot less with 2003 but it's still annoying. Shouldn't be a problem in the latest version (but I haven't done anything signficant in it).

Otherwise there's not much else you can do if you have elaborate codes to determine pricing. It is possible to really lock down the Excel environment so the User is really controlled with what he/she is able to do but it still doesn't solve the problem of running the two apps in tandem. Sorry.

Zephid15
01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
the biggest problem is the double clicking on the table to change something and then clicking back out. our computers just about freeze up everytime you attempt edit something.

gwkenny
01-31-2008, 09:18 PM
That's something you are going to have to train the Users to avoid if you continue using embedded objects :(

A lot of the time the computer is not frozen, but will take such a long time to get back to you, you might as well reboot (I've seen 1/2 an hour). I have no idea what it's doing. Not only can it corrupt the embedded object, it will also corrupt section breaks.

I consulted for the presentation departments of several organizations and the machines were maxed out on RAM and this still happens so it's got to be Microsoft Coding.

If they must have the embedded object, they have to right-click / Edit or Open. Open being preferable. That seems to get rid of most of the problems, but like I said, migrating to a new procedure using linked pictures is the best idea that I know of :(

At one place (which was pretty narrow minded but that's another story) I ended up coding the copying of Excel to Word as a picture and then inserting a hidden hyperlink underneath the picture.

Good luck