PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] CLOSE Event, random not closing

MichaelH
02-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi Guys,

Could anyone help me understand a puzzler please?

What I have got is a functionality in the BEFORE CLOSE Event on a s/s that :

Checks that a specific Add-In is installed, and if so ?

Uses a Function(A) in the spreadsheet module that then uses another Function(B) in the Add-In repeatedly in a Loop to check the validity of specific cells, each time returning a Boolean True / False as to the validity of that cell. If any cell is invalid then FunctionA returns a False to the BEFORE CLOSE which sets CANCEL to True so that the s/s doesn?t close.

This works most of the time, but even when everything is OK it sometimes doesn?t close (I also have displayed messages on each invalid entry found so I know if all should be OK). This seems to be random, and sometimes if I just open the s/s and immediately go to Close it.

What I don?t understand is:

a. when this doesn?t work, if I open the File menu, I see a square box with a tick in it to the left of the Close option and the only way I can Close is to alter something in any VBA module which then gives me a message saying the project will be reset ? it?s then OK.

What is the Square Ticked box? If it?s supposed to say that Close is not available then why isn?t it a cross or greyed out?

The above was complicated in that I had to insert an intermediary Function between the BEFORE CLOSE Event and the Add-In because even though I am testing for the presence of the Add-In before using a Function within it, if the Add-In is not present it falls over because it knows that the Function would not be found ? is there a better way of doing this?

Should I set Application.EnableEvents to False at the start of the BEFORE CLOSE event ?
Any advise appreciated, point me in the right direction.

PS the S/S is huge and holds confidential info. So I?m not able to issue it.

Jacob Hilderbrand
02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
I understand that you cannot post the file, but maybe you could make up a small example file with dummy information and include the code so we can test it.

You should set Events to False if there is a chance that your code may trigger another event (and you don't want that to happen).

MichaelH
02-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks DRJ,

I've been playing around and setting MsgBox's at various points in the routines to see what could be determining that the Cancel Close should be triggered; and since doing that the code has worked fine; so I'm about to take all those traps out and see waht happens then!

I'll set this to Solved.

Thanks again,

Michael:hi:

Jacob Hilderbrand
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
You're Welcome :beerchug:

Take Care