PDA

View Full Version : Access & modify metadata of MP3 files

Digita
02-11-2008, 09:14 PM
G'day,

The following code changes the title of an open workbook to abc:

ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(1) = "abc"

However, this BuiltinDocumentProperties is limited to MS office files. :banghead: Just wondering if it is possible to extract & change the metadata of MP3 files through VBA. Have anyone come across or developed a script to do so in VBA? Specifically, I'm after a code to change the title from "Track xx" to the actual name of the mp3 file itself.

The title info of a file can be manually accessed & modified by right clicking on the file name inside windows explorer then "properties" - "summary tab". It would be too cumbersome for to modify some 90 odd mp3 files. I've done some googling but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Regards

kp

Paul_Hossler
02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Q: why VBA? I've been very pleased with MP3TAG, which is a specialized and powerful and flexible prog. There are a lot of these out there, but this is the one I'm used to

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

"Mp3tag is a powerful and yet easy-to-use tool to edit metadata (ID3, Vorbis Comments and APE) of common audio formats. It can rename files based on the tag information, replace characters or words from tags and filenames, import/export tag information, create playlists and more. The program supports online freedb database lookups for selected files, allowing you to automatically gather proper tag information for select files or CDs."

Paul

Bob Phillips
02-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Me too. It has scripting so that you can put the details in a text file and fire it within mp3.

I create the text files from Excel and use in mp3Tag.

Digita
02-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I have tried the MP3Tag myself and found out how useful this piece of program is. By the way XLD would you please elaborate a bit more on the text file batching function as I'm new to this software.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

kp