PDA

View Full Version : I need help matching text strings....

anukreeashun
02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to Vba coding and here is my dilema: I have approximately 11K product descriptions in column A and I have the same amount of Category descriptions in column B. They are similar but no two are alike. I need to match the text strings in column A with column B as close as possible. I dont need an exact match. For example

descriptions categories
A2 Home ent vcr B8500 Ent livingroom vcr

I need the code to match the decription with the category no matter what row they happen to be in. Please Help!! Thanks in Advance

jdumond21
02-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Hello,
There isn't any code that I know of that will do what you want. Your problem is that the descriptions you're trying to match up aren't even that similar - in your example you only have a 3 character string that would match between the two cells. If that's typical of the setup, you might be able to set something up that would match based on 3 character strings, but I'm not sure that would even work that well (if at all) and it would take forever and a day to run.

mdmackillop
02-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi,
Welcome to VBAX
Can you post a workbook with a small sample? Use Manage Attachments in the Go Advanced section.