PDA

View Full Version : Prohibit making a copy of a workbook

U_Shrestha
02-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Hello,

I have been wondering if there is a way to prohibit someone from making a copy of a workbook by simple copy and paste function. Thanks.

jamward
03-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi ~umesh,
I'm not sure if I am understanding exactly what you want, but I usually compress the entire xls file with winRAR which allows you to password protect the re-expansion of the file. It's inconvenient if you use file often, but it works if you have very sensitive data.

U_Shrestha
03-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Hello Jim,

I have a Excel 2003 Workbook which is saved in a network drive. I'm wondering if it's possible to avoid other users who would make a copy of it and paste it somewhere else in its original format (Excel) without a password. I am not sure if this is possible?

jamward
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
What permissions do you have on the network drive? If you have admin rights you could prevent others from accessing file unless they need access to work on this file. You could also move file to a private folder that is not shared on the network. If you do not admin rights on this mapped drive, you can ask an administrator to allow only your user profile to access file.
Hope this helps.

U_Shrestha
03-04-2008, 07:21 AM
In the network drive I am just a user but I am the author of the workbook. I am just trying to avoid tampering of the workbook by other users. The data in the workbook must be accessible to multiple users. Is there any way just to prohibit making a copy of the workbook itself?

Tak
11-10-2008, 02:32 AM
This is my first post.
As I know, whatever you see, whatever you can copy.
The only way I know is protect the formula only (Format, Cells, Protection, Hidden. Then protect the sheet).