PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Special Color Palette's in VBE

coliervile
03-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Other than the default colors in VBE to color userform, buttons and so on are there any specal color palette's out there to use???

lucas
03-05-2008, 07:35 PM
do you mean for cells?

coliervile
03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
No Lucas I was looking more for usage with userform in Visual Basic Editor. I guessing that this type of coloring when designing a userform all would have to be done using a macro???

lucas
03-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Unless I am missing something Charlie it is as simple as changing the backcolor property.

select your userform or button in the vbe and if the properties box is not visible you can view it by going to view-properties window. look for the backcolor property for userforms.

coliervile
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes, it's easy to change the coloring. I was just wondering if there were more colors available than the 48 or so that's VBE has as a default.

Bob Phillips
03-06-2008, 02:56 AM
I believe that you have the full range of RGB colours in the userform, it is not handled by Excel but by lower-level os functions.

BUT ... IMO you should leave it alone, use the default colours. Let the user decide what colurs they use by virtue of their machine settings. The only colour a developer sould add to a form is a logo, or any included pictures from the workbook.

coliervile
03-06-2008, 04:27 AM
"xld" as usual you make some strong points and I'll take that under advisement

coliervile
03-06-2008, 08:42 AM
"xld" working with presentation and colors is there one scheme that's more palatable??? Carry over comment from other thread....

Bob Phillips
03-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Charlie,

IMO it is not the scheme that is more palatable, it is the deployment.

My advice is based around 2 axioms

- always use colour sparingly, not too many, and not too much (which your masterpiece broke alarmingly). The idea should be to use colurs to enhance, to help break the information into discrete, related information

- use muted colours, bold colours become the story rather than the information (and again). Keep the bold colours for that rare event when you really want to hit them in the eye with something, something that is more important than the rest of the data.

Bob Phillips
03-06-2008, 08:53 AM
BTW, IMO most of Excel 2007's built-in colour schemes break my axioms, I don't like them.

coliervile
03-06-2008, 10:39 AM
XLD is this a more palatable scheme and presentation...just would like your thoughts???

coliervile
03-06-2008, 10:44 AM
?Here's the worksheet...

Bob Phillips
03-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I would actually go much further than that., As I said, I would remove all colour, background, foreground, text, and leave it to the system settings.

I would remove all of that white space, it is far too disparate, some screens would lose bits.
I would reduce the font size and get rid of Comic, use a more standard font, and reduce the size of the buttons (losing more wasted real-estate).

I would re-arrange it so that the steps followed more in a natural order.

I would lose the colour on the worksheet.

Here is a quick attempt at it. More work can be done on the controls and their placement, but this is a quick starter.

Bob Phillips
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh, and I removed the block on them closing the form with the X button.

lucas
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Charlie,
Bob also resized your form as your's was too big for my 1024 screen.

coliervile
03-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks Bob and Lucas. Bob I took some of your advise, but keep the coloring on the main userform. You guys have a great evening and we'll see you around the Neighborhood of VBA.
:beerchug:
</IMG>