PDA

View Full Version : Access dummy who only needs to insert file names

DIStudio
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
:banghead:

I am totally and helplessly lost. I have spent the past 3 days seeking out answers via the web, purchased Access 2003 all in one reference for Dummies and am still no closer to my goal then I was when I began.

Here is what I am trying to do ...

I have hundreds, if not thousands of files on my computer which I need to have listed in an access database. I do not want to manually enter in the name of the file in each field (obviously). So I need a shortcut to simply insert the file name into Access.

THEN I have another predicament. However I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I have very minimal experience with VBA and am not sure if it is even neccessary to simply input files into Access. If I do however need to use VBA if whichever dear soul who helps me could include that I would be forever indebted.

THANK YOU so much in advance.

Norie
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Where exactly are these files located?

In one directory? In multiple directories?

Is there any criteria for the filenames you want listed? eg file extension

DIStudio
03-06-2008, 01:40 PM
There are multiple folders which each contain hundreds of files. The are just in folders on my desktop.

Each folder can be a separate database.

The filenames need to be listed with the correct file extensions as well.

Norie
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Each folder can be a separate database.

Sorry don't know what you mean by that.:dunno

DIStudio
03-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Hm ... I am no help since I know so little on this subject. Let's begin by just assuming that I have 1 file folder on my desktop which contains 700 files. In Access I need to have each file name listed in a field with it's filename and extension. (For example: References.xls)

Thanks!

Norie
03-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Now you've really confused me.:confused:

You've posted in the Excel section of this forum but know you are mentioning databases and Access.:huh:

God, am I stupid and probably blind too, of course you've posted in the Access section.:bug:

DIStudio
03-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Initially I thought it was something that I wanted to do in excel. I have since realized that Access would be better suited for what I need to do.

dpf44
03-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Are all your files in a single directory on your desktop? Also, is this something you'll be wanting to run repeatedly, or just import as a once off task.

I can think of a way to simply list all the filenames in a folder (including mapping subdirectories) if that's all you need, just by using a command window. But if you want to do it repeatedly, a better solution would be needed.