PDA

View Full Version : Breaking processing for User Input

Stuartg1978
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Hello,

I currently have a problem as follows.

I have a userform that you make a selection from a ComboBox and then press a button that perfroms a whole load of processing. Part of this is as follows:-
Stage 1 - opens up an excel spreadsheet and loads the information into an object called dict (there is about 11,000 data items) then closes the data file
stage 2 - Open another excel file and validate the information in it against the information in the object. The validation areas are defined from the selection ade in the combo box.

I can get the above to work but I want the user to be able to make another selection from the combo box to select the areas of validation for the next file and then process the next file without having to redo stage 1 as it is the bit that takes the longest. i.e. be able to stop the loop for the user to make the new selection and then begin processing without losing the information in the object dict.

Can this be done?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Thanks,

Stuart

Bob Phillips
03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Stuart,

Of course it will be possible if you mean process the same data once doing two things rater than twice doing one thing each time, but we will need more info if you want assistance in doing it.

Stuartg1978
03-08-2008, 02:15 AM
There are about 300 files that I may need to be processed at different times of the month. There are a number of different types of validation required. Any file may need 1 or more of these and the validation that takes place may be at different parts in the file. The selection form the combobox returns the validation required and the columns to validate.

At anyone time I may want to process 20 or so files therefore I want to be able to set up the object as a dictionary at the start - stage 1. I am actually setting up a number of these and this is the most time consuming part of the processing.

So I want to set up the dictionaries make a selection form the combobox, press the process button choose a file and process it, make another selection from the combobox process it etc.

The only way I can currently do this is to finish processing then make another selection then press the process button owever when I do this I need to set up the dictionaries again.

Let me know what additional information would help

Thanks,

Stuart