PDA

View Full Version : Still Trying to figure this one out "over my head"

ameritecc
03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
The code below brings up a message box which identifies the address of a worksheet button which opens a form for user input. The input should put all the entries in this form in certain cells on the same row that is identified in the message box address. What the form allows is to differentiate task for material that may be same material from row to row.
Does anyone know how there might be a way to pull this message box address into the form in a way that I could use it to place all my textbox entries in the form on the same row.
Also this messagebox comes up first on the screen when you click on the form botton, and you have to close it out before the form pops up. I know this is normal, but I am also wanting have the information somehow run in the back ground, be pulled in by the form, recorded somehow (maybe in a hidden textbox, and used to manipulate where the user entries are recorded.
Also please keep in mind, I have this button on a total of 2400 rows in 12 different worksheets. One form design, and it does the same thing for each row.
I desperately need help.

MsgBox ActiveSheet.Shapes(Application.Caller).TopLeftCell.Address
'Set the cell to activate
Const StartUpCell = "TopLeftCell.Address"

RonMcK
03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Can you post a copy of the workbook with 10 rows of data, sanitized to remove any names, real phone numbers or other data that would identify 3rd parties. That would help us see what you are trying to do.

I may be mistaken, however, I believe one can create code that will allow you to pick a row and open the userform with the data from that row in the fields; thus, you can enter or edit existing data. And without having to have a button for each row in your worksheet.

Out of curiosity, have you tried using the built-in form that you get when you open Data > Form?

ameritecc
03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I can post a display of one of the Worksheets and the form and the text areas hidden in the worksheet calcualtion area where the textbox entries go. The workbook itself is 50 Megabytes in size, and most of the information within it is not related to this issue.
In your second paragraph you described very closely what I am trying to achieve. When information is entered into the textboxes on the form the information is immediately transferred to the correct cell for that data and calculated into the workings of the program. I can do this part easily and have. But on the next row below I may have a piece of material that is identical to the one above, and the only information that will make it different than the other one lies in what I enter into the popup form. That is why it must be row specific.
I have not investigated the Data > Form that you mentioned. Not for sure how that would work but will look at it for sure. I'm trying everthing.
My form is called detail. It is attached. I will send the other in another post related to this question. The other one shows a partial worksheet with material listed on it and the Detail Button to the right. I have not put this Detail Button in every 2400 cells yet until I get this resolved, so you will only see a few of them on the worksheet. Thanks for your help.

ameritecc
03-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Here is a partial worksheet. You can see the Detail Button and where it will be placed and I have put several pieces of material on the cell to its left. Unseen by the user and outside of the viewing boundaries of this page are columns upon columns of information with cells specific to the row each piece of material is shown on, that house the entries and calculate the cost of the associated task that the user inputs into the form. Keep in mind, that this one form is relative to this one row, and this one piece of material shown to its left. That is how much information can change a cost on two identical pieces of material.
Any help will be appreciated and I will investigate Data> Form also.

Bob Phillips
03-08-2008, 08:21 AM
ameritecc,

the actual workbook will be much more helpful.

ameritecc
03-09-2008, 08:51 AM
This thread and the continuing resolutions of it are posted on Mr. Excell Forum where additional answers and circumstances are recorded. For those of you that want to review it and keep up with it the URL for this thread is below. Norie has provided me a different direction on my problem and it seems to be getting closer to resolving. I just have some bugs I still have to work around.
I still consider this thread open and can use any advise from this forum.
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307858