PDA

View Full Version : Dyanamic Charting in Office 2007

taporctv
03-10-2008, 12:23 PM
My dynamic chart was working in office 2003, but as soon as I switched over to office 2007, it started not to work properly.

=SERIES(Summary!$E$1,Summary!ChartLabels,Summary!ChartValues,1)

This is the code I use for the dynamic chart. When loading the intial data into the cells the chcart will not generate. However when I delete the data and repopulate the same cells the chart will generate. Im only having problems with the intial data entry.

JonPeltier
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, my colleague Charley Kyd (http://exceluser.com) discovered a bug recently in dynamic charts in Excel 2007. If the range name begins with the word "chart", the chart will not accept the name. Change your names to Chtlabels and ChtValues and it should work fine.

taporctv
03-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I remeber how to define a named range in 2003, but how do I edit from "chartlabels" to "chtlabels" in 2007. If i remember correctly, "chartlabels" was a named range in 2003. How do I change this in 2007?

Bob Phillips
03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I doubt that chartlabels was a built-in label, you would have had to craete that name. Diito in XL2007.

JonPeltier
03-19-2008, 11:17 AM
'chartlabels' is not a built-in name, it was defined as all names are, in the define names dialog. You need to define a new name called 'chtlabels', and for cleanliness you should remove 'chartlabels'.

In 2007 the drill is: Formulas tab > Defined Names group (middle of ribbon) > Define Name. Use Name Manager from the same tab and group to handle deletion of unwanted names.

taporctv
03-21-2008, 06:43 AM
I went into the name manager and changed the names. However im still receiving my intial error. Let me go into detail about the macro. When I open up the spreadsheet a window pops up with a selection of queries. I choose the queries and then they populate the spreadsheet with a label and its associated number. The dynamic chart should populate but it doesn't. I have a reset button the clears my spreadsheet and brings up the query window again. Now if I go through the same process, the dynamic chart works. Its always like this. On the intial run dynamic charting doesnt work, but after that, dynamic charting will work (Keep in mind I dont exit out of the spreadsheet and restart it).
Do you guys think its still the defined names causing the problem?

Aussiebear
03-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Looks like you might have to post the workbook, so the folks here can have a good look at it.

chat163
03-21-2008, 07:09 AM
I went into the name manager and changed the names. However im still receiving my intial error. Let me go into detail about the macro. When I open up the spreadsheet a window pops up with a selection of queries. I choose the queries and then they populate the spreadsheet with a label and its associated number. The dynamic chart should populate but it doesn't. I have a reset button the clears my spreadsheet and brings up the query window again. Now if I go through the same process, the dynamic chart works. Its always like this. On the intial run dynamic charting doesnt work, but after that, dynamic charting will work (Keep in mind I dont exit out of the spreadsheet and restart it).
Do you guys think its still the defined names causing the problem?

Could you post the excel.