PDA

View Full Version : total newbie question

allison
03-14-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm extremely green in Access, but for this project, there is too much data to do it in excel. I've created a query off of the orginial data- but now I want to save that information to a database so that I can run queries from. How do I do that? I can't do a save as - it only allows me to save it as a query.

any help would be appreciated!

OTWarrior
03-14-2008, 08:06 AM
ideally you would create forms to show the data, often using the queries to pull the information that you wish to display.

How much data are you talking baout here? how many fields? Is this just for display (reports) or for manipulation (inputing new data)?

What was the query that you created?

allison
03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Ive got about 125K records - each with only 8 fields. I admit that my problem is that I don't know how to get the desired results in access, but I can get it in excel. I've got a spreadsheet set up with the formulas that I need (some sumif's and some sumproducts) - does access support those formulas? I see that I could filter/query to get the same information - but I'm looking for the final numbers to do some graphing of those numbers, not the actual detail. I know that I'm going to need to learn some access because of the volumes of data I'm likely going to be working with.

Trevor
03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
a dirty way to do this is create your acess tables, go to exel right click select all, cop. open your acess tabe highlight records and past

OTWarrior
03-17-2008, 03:21 AM
What do you want to use the data for?
You can use queries in access in a similar way to forumulas from excel.
If you want to create graphs from it, I would recommend using excel over Access (but that is my personal opinion).

any chance of a sample of the data you want to use (doesn't have to be real data, just the fields)

Trevor
03-17-2008, 01:09 PM
OT Warrior is correct, I don't know how to do what he's talking about, I just know it is possible, OTWarrior could you explain( just so I can learn somthing new?, Allison sorry for "taking over your post").
I know how to create a mathimaticl formula in excel
and a query in acess for acess I just don't know how I to do what your sugession is.

OTWarrior
03-18-2008, 04:45 AM
If I could have example of some your excel functions, I could show you roughly how to do them in a query.