PDA

View Full Version : Force Open File

cadence24
03-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Hello all,
i have a file that I have been working on and all of a sudden when ever I try and open it it crashes and quits excel on me.

Is there a way I can open it without using the macros?

Whenever I try to open and disregard macros it tells me that some are version 4.0 and cannot be disabled. Hence it continues opening and then crash quits.

Can anyone help open it so I can go in a fix what I have done to that it will stop crashing.

thanks johnnny

mikerickson
03-16-2008, 11:04 AM
What OS and version of Excel are you using?

Mac OS10.5 Excel2004 does that to me sometimes, its touchy about deleting event code from ThisWorkbook.

If you're sure there is no outside code, open the file with Macros disabled, but saying yes to the v4 questions should let you see the spreadsheet.

cadence24
03-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Mikerickson,

The code is all sound, I think the file just got possibly a little corrupted, but all the work is mine so nothing malicious in it. I have tried say yes to V4, but it still crashes after it opens. I just can't even get to the the This workbook to have a look.

The other weird thing is that I can open it in a PC version of excel and it all works fine. its just office 2004.

johnny

mikerickson
03-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Open it in Windows, SaveAs and see what happens with the new file.

If that causes trouble:
Open in Windows and , copy/paste each sheet to a new workbook. Copy/paste each code module to the new workbook. Periodicaly saving and checking to see where the problem is.

I'm convinced that if I delete an event routine from ThisWorkbook, it isn't completely gone. I've gotten "Only comments can be after End Sub" errors from a blank ThisWorkbook code module after deleting a routine.

2004 is weird buggy. (Or maybe its only my Educator/Student version)