PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Opening another version of Excel

skriatok
02-11-2005, 10:19 AM
I am working in 2 versions of Excel. One is an english version (Office XP) with an Essbase add-in, the other is a french version (Office 2000) with a Cartesis Magnitude add-in. The french version resides on a server in France, the english version runs locally on my machine

I would like to do is from my french version of excel, use VBA to open up an excel file, but have it open in an instance of the english version of excel. Or to open up a french excel instance from the english excel

Whatever commands or APIs I use, when another excel session is opened it always opens up as the same type that is currently running. In the french excel I wrote this shell command :
Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Excel.exe", vbNormalFocus
This is a direct link to the english excel version, however the instance that was created was of the french excel

Please help!!!

Regards
Mike

Jacob Hilderbrand
02-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Check Here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214388) for some information on your problem.

skriatok
02-14-2005, 03:35 AM
Thanks

On that link to the microsoft web site it states that you cannot use the excel object model to open up different versions of excel. When the object model is used in VBA to open instances of excel, the version of excel that will be opened will be either the latest version on the local machine, or the version that is being worked on

But if I can have and use different versions of excel on my local machine, then surely there must be a way to use API calls to open up a specific version of excel?

Mike

herilane
02-18-2005, 11:26 AM
The following code, running from Excel 2002, opens both Excel 2000 and Excel 97 on my machine. So the principle is sound. :) Although I don't know if that's of any use to you...

Shell "C:\Program\Office 2000\Office\excel.exe"
Shell "C:\Program\Office 97\Office\excel.exe"
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you first change the drive to C: and the directory to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10" (using ChDrive and ChDir)? Does that make any difference?

Jacob Hilderbrand
02-18-2005, 04:24 PM
I don't believe it would matter is you use CHDir or CHDrive since you specify the entire path.