PDA

View Full Version : Conditional Drop Down Boxes

dawid
03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi.

I'm an absolute beginner but I really need to create a word doc that has a drop down box which when selected will create text input forms underneath that, conditional on the option selected in the drop dop.

For Example:

If the drop down had the options Feet, Hands and Face. If you selected 'face' the following should appear: "How big is the nose ....." "hat colour are the eyes...""How good is the hearing...". And if hands is selected the text should appear: "How many fingers does the hand have".

It would really really help me if somebody could help me with this.

Thanks a lot

Trevor
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
your in the access forum of vbexpress do want a word doc or access doc, your post says word.doc but it's in the access section

dawid
03-31-2008, 10:27 PM
but it says "Word Help"? I thought "Word Help" meant MS word.

fumei
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Trevor? This is the Word forum. I have no idea what you talking about with the mention of Access.

"your [sic] in the access forum of vbexpress"

AND

"but it's in the access section"

No, they are not in the Access section...where are you?

dawid, sure you can do something like this. HOW depends on exactly what you are already doing.

If you are using a template (a .dot file) to clone a new document, then I would use AutoText. The nice thing about AutoText is that they can contain formfields. So your:

"when selected will create text input forms underneath that"

could indeed create formfields, by using AutoText.

You do not state what KIND of dropdown. This is very important, and you must specify. Is it a formfield dropdown ( inserted with the Forms toolbar), or an ActiveX dropdown (inserted with the Controls toolbar).

if it is a formfield, you will have issues with changing the content, as using formfields requires protecting the document. Which means no edits. There are, of course, means to work around this, but we have to know details.

If you do not want to go the AutoText route, then you could write the text chunks ("How big is the nose ....." etc. etc.) directly as text. This depends on whether you are going to try and get information OUT.

New line: "How big is the nose ....."

They enter: 319 cm. ( a VERY big nose!) Do you want to get that 319 out as data?

Trevor
04-02-2008, 04:23 PM
ok fumie, I looked again when I posted It was late, and I may had just read the section above or below his post so I was wrong

fumei
04-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Not a big deal. I was posting more out of humor than criticism.