PDA

View Full Version : Have predetermined data appear in one cell, when specific data entered in another.

karlo16
03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi...
First of all, thanks so much in advance, for any help anyone can give me!

I'm using Excel 2003 on XP.

I'm slowly teaching myself Excel, but I can't seem to figure out how to do the following:

I use Excel to keep a very simple daily log of the ?reports? I receive from our agents from various states. In the spreadsheet, I keep track of: agent name, dates, dollar amounts, and various other info. (see example attachment) There are 2 things that I would like Excel to do automatically for me, as I enter the data into this spreadsheet every day?

First:
Often, I want to remember a bit of information about a specific agent. For example: the agent owes us money, or need special attention for some reason. Is there a way to have a reminder or alert message ?pop up?, each time I enter a specific agent?s name?
In other words, let?s say agent ?Joe Smith? is required to include an extra $200.00 check in his report, each month. Is there a way for Excel to remind me of this, every time I enter the name ?Joe Smith? into a cell? How do I go about making that happen?

Second:
When I enter the individual agent's name in the ?Agent? column (column A), I want the state that the agent is from, to automatically appear in the ?State? (column I) (see example attachment). So basically, agent ?Joe Smith? is from Indiana. Whenever I enter the name ?Joe Smith? into column ?A?, I want ?IN? (Indiana?s abbreviation) to automatically appear in column ?I? of that same row. If this is possible, how do I do it?

I would even be interested in purchasing any software ?add-on? programs that might be available for Excel -- if they will give me the ability to make the above scenarios happen?

Again, thank you in advance for your expertise on this issue!

I should also mention, that I?m still pretty much, a novice here, so as detailed, and ?step by step?, as you can be in your answers would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Karl

mdmackillop
03-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Karl,
Welcome to VBAX
Here's an Event driven sample, using Data Validation. The code runs when a value in Col 1 is changed. I've tossed in a few concepts for you to look at. Make use of VBA Help to check the use of key words etc.