PDA

View Full Version : dynamic Validation criteria

ajm
04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a series of milestone descriptions held in named ranges depending upon the type of project to which they belong. Currently, my users can select any milestone in the validation list for that project type. THis means that they could inadvertantly go backwards if they select incorrectly. The formula in the cell validation for my column is:

"=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(I11," ",""))" with the project type in Column I.

I am after a VBA solution that will not show preceding milestones when the change is made to a new milestone.

as an example, say MS1, MS2, and MS3. When selecting MS1, the user can also see MS2 and MS3. HOwever, once MS1 is selected, when they next use the dropdown to move forward to MS2, I don't want them to be able to see MS1. By the way, my milestones are not numeric and are not in alphabetic order.

Any suggestions?

lucas
04-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Here's (http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal03.html) a step by step procedure with a sample workbook.

ajm
04-03-2008, 08:37 PM
lucas, thanks but not exactly what I need. THe contextures example assumes you don't want a user to be able to select an item from the list that you have used, in subsequent selections. sort of the reverse of cascading combo boxes.

what i need is to eliminate the items that my user has previously selected in the one cell. The milestones I mention below, relate to projects so the user should be moving on in the right progressive order.

lucas
04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I guess I'm a little thick tonight ajm but I can't seem to follow your need. Could you post the worksheet without any sensitive data?

click on post reply at the bottom left of the last post....scroll down and look for the button that says manage attachments.

Some additional info on the sheet....what you want to see and when would help immensly.....

ajm
04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
has this attached it?