PDA

View Full Version : Location of Word Startup directory

jasoncw
04-04-2008, 07:14 AM
I am writing a procedure to be used in our company, but we have multiple MS Office versions floating out there: 1997, 2000, XP, and 2003 (all, however, using Windows XP Pro). I know the startup directory for Word 2003:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\

What are the startup locations for the other versions? I'm not that concerned with 1997, since those boxes are in the process of being updated to 2003. TIA for any input.

Jason

lucas
04-04-2008, 11:18 AM
tools-options
select the file locations tab. This is in 2003 but I would assume you could find it that way in about any version.........

jasoncw
04-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the reply, Steve. Yes, I'm aware of how to find it. However, no employees in my state are running a version of other than 2003. So I was hoping someone who is running another older version could chime in.

Thanks again,

Jason

fumei
04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
There are TWO Startup folders.

One for the user:
e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\

And one under Program Files\Microsoft Office....

In XP, the user Startup is the same as what you posted.

Don't know about 2000, but I would think if you are using XP as th eOS, they will all have the user Startup similar.

The system Startup may be different.

On my machine, it is:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Startup

The bold should be different for the different versions.

"I am writing a procedure to be used in our company"

This is pretty vague. WHY do you need to know the Startup?

jasoncw
04-04-2008, 06:38 PM
"I am writing a procedure to be used in our company"

This is pretty vague. WHY do you need to know the Startup?
Good question, Gerry.

Let me explain what I am trying to do, and if you can think of something better, I am all ears.

We have several different offices in our company, each of which has a different letterhead template stored on our intranet. What was requested from me was for a procedure to be run that would automatically assign a key stroke (i.e. F11) to each users' PCs to be able to add letterhead to an existing document.

Here is how I envisioned accomplishing the task:

Include a document on our intranet that includes a procedure in the Document_Open event handler procedure that performs the following tasks:

1. Includes a combo box for the user to select their office.

2. Copies a second file to the user's PC, which contains the procedure to incorporate the applicable letterhead, based on the combo box selection.

3. The file that is copied to the user's PC will be copied to the startup directory, and be installed as a global template.

I would like to have the user only select their office one time, then never have to update it again. The procedure for each office would be identical, except, of course, for the letterhead template name. So I was thinking of adding the one line of code that assigns the correct file name to the letterhead variable.

The only other option I could think of is including a separate document for each office, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Also, I would like this to be as automated as possible, so I would like to try to avoid having the user to manually make changes to their settings if possible. Obviously this will not work in all cases, as I'm sure many of the users have their Word macro security settings set to High. So in this case, the user will need to make changes.

So if you have any better ideas on how to accomplish this, I'm all ears! I unfortunately do not have these tasks on a regular basis, as I am not an IT guy by trade. Thanks for any input.

And BTW, now that I have posted the above scenario, cross post here (http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=640312).

Jason

fumei
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I am not following this.

It is the word "incorporate" that confuses me.

"incorporate the applicable letterhead"

Why not have the letterheads IN templates, and then use the template? Voila. The cloned document has the letterhead.

The answer is this: " to add letterhead to an existing document."

Ah. This is not the proper way to use Word. Still, it is a common failing. I am also not following:

"I would like to try to avoid having the user to manually make changes to their settings if possible"

Fair enough, and I agree. But...WHAT changes are you thinking about? What changes would be possible? Or perhaps more accurately, changes to what?

Let me see if I can see the situation.

You have various users.

These are in different offices.

Each office has a different letterhead.

They are NOT using proper templates, and need a procedure to add a letterhead to existing documents.

They are NOT going to be dumping these existing documents into a cloned document WITH the letterhead. they are going to add the letterhead.

Each user machine should have some setting that identifies what office it is in, and Word will use the appropriate letterhead for that office....for every single document ever produced by Word.

That setting is somehow both "automatic", but also manual, in that the user selects the office from some combobox.

You are going to pushing files to folder on each machine.

Finally, I do not understand:

"The only other option I could think of is including a separate document for each office, but I was hoping to avoid that."

Separate document? What separate document? Do you mean separate files with one letterhead per file?

Perhaps if you described HOW the users are using things.

In my mind, letterheads should always be in templates. They are not added. If an existing document (without a letterhead) needs a letterhead, it is dumped in a blank document cloned from the template WITH the letterhead.

But I may not be understanding your situation.

jasoncw
04-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi, Gerry. Thanks for your time and input on this. Let me see if I can help clarify.

Let me see if I can see the situation.

You have various users.

These are in different offices.

Each office has a different letterhead.

They are NOT using proper templates, and need a procedure to add a letterhead to existing documents.

They are NOT going to be dumping these existing documents into a cloned document WITH the letterhead. they are going to add the letterhead.

Each user machine should have some setting that identifies what office it is in, and Word will use the appropriate letterhead for that office....for every single document ever produced by Word.
Exactly correct. Unfortunately, I need to work with what I am given. All letterheads are simply separate templates (approximately 20 different templates) with an image (the letterhead) in the first page header, nothing more. These are located centrally on our intranet.

The request to me was to have users be able to include the letterhead image in the document in which they are working, which may or may not be coming from a different template... Specifically, they requested for the staff to be able to use a key stroke to add the letterhead (image).

That setting is somehow both "automatic", but also manual, in that the user selects the office from some combobox.
I would like it to be manual only the first time they "set up" the procedure on their PC. So they would only be selecting their office from a combobox once (not each time they want to add the letterhead image to a document).

You are going to pushing files to folder on each machine.

Finally, I do not understand:

"The only other option I could think of is including a separate document for each office, but I was hoping to avoid that."

Separate document? What separate document? Do you mean separate files with one letterhead per file?
Sorry, after reading that again, I realized I worded that confusing and didn't thoroughly explain the situation.

What I am really trying to accomplish is to determine how I can get a procedure to be set-up on each users' PCs that will add a letterhead image to the first page header of any document in which they are working. Now, how to go about this is where I am seeking guidance. After the descriptions above, I hope this scenario will make a little more sense:

I planned to include a file on the intranet that has a combobox for the user to select their office. Once they make this selection, I would like to copy a separate file to their PC that contains the procedure to include the letterhead image in an existing document. This would be included in their startup directory as a global template, so that the assigned key stroke is already set-up for them. The main purpose of this second file to be copied to the users' PCs is so that the combobox selection would only have to be completed once.

Now, this second file will vary, as there are approximately 20 different letterhead versions. I was hoping to be able to simply add a line of code for this second file, which assigns the proper file name of the appropriate office letterhead template to a variable. That way, there would be only "one" second file. The issue with this is that most of the users' security settings in Word will be such that it will not allow access to the VB project (this is the settings change to which I was reffering in my previous post).

So the other option I was contemplating is this second file could be one of 20 different files, each being identical, except for the one line of code that has the appropriate file name assigned to the variable for the letterhead template.

I hope this clarifies things a little. I know this is definitely not how this should be done in Word, but like I said, I need to work with what I am given. Any further insight on the above, or even a different strategy to get this to work, would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps if you described HOW the users are using things.

In my mind, letterheads should always be in templates. They are not added. If an existing document (without a letterhead) needs a letterhead, it is dumped in a blank document cloned from the template WITH the letterhead.
I agree. But what if a user is working on a document, and has saved the file? Then dumping this into a blank document, it is no longer saved with the same file name, is it? Or am I misunderstanding you? And just as a caveat, I would like to add that "Word is different" than what I am used to. :giggle

Jason