PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Simple Encryption

OriginalEz
04-08-2008, 11:59 PM
I really hope some can help me. I not fresh meat hough I am still a noob. I have googled and got little help. I am currently using office 2000 on these systems.

I am trying to create a 'simple' encryption proc. I want to change each letter within a string to 2 letters along in the alphabet (or ASC). The string will be defined by an input box (easy enough) but at the end of the encryption, i want it to be displayed on either a msgbox or new, unsaved text file.

Im not all that interested in keys, although i know it is more secure, it is more for the workers and they wouldn't know how to crack the simple code anyway.

I realise this may have been covered in a previous post, but believe me, the solutions i have read did not do the job.

Thanks in advance for any help!

tstav
04-09-2008, 02:03 AM
OriginalEz,

Encryption/decryption issues are discouraged (to say the least) and I believe for very good reasons. You may want to read the forum's policy.
http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq.php?faq=psting_faq_item#faq_hack_faq_item

OriginalEz
04-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Ok tstav, thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the policy regarding crack/hack etc. I too agree with that policy but it is not hacking or cracking anything. It is to keep my IM messages personal.

The purpose of what I am trying to create (which will be attached to my excel add-in toolbar) is to encrypt short messages transmitted over IM so they are safe from praying eyes. Should anyone access my terminal whilst on lunch etc, they wouldn't make sense to the reader anyway, thus rendering their snooping useless. The code will of course have a seperate proc to decrypt the string back to cleartext.

Is this purpose any better or will i still find that no-one will help???

tstav
04-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Encryption code might be used for ANY purpose.

This forum is our Host. Our Host has a policy. Our Host's hospitality and policy deserve our respect.

OriginalEz
04-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Fair enough tstav.
I will shut this thread down as I do respect the host and its policy.

1 quick question before I do, if I may, what is potentially the harm in broadcasting how to encrypt text (or whatever else you think people may use it for?) I want to learn the reasons why such a simple task should not be discussed in forums

Thanks for your help tstav

tstav
04-09-2008, 03:16 AM
OriginalEz,

you may mean well, but somebody else may not. This is a public forum. What you see is what I see is what everybody sees.

I'm not going to post ideas here, on how one could maliciously use any kind of code. I wouldn't do it through a Private Message, either.

P.S. This 'conversation' has had no VBA connotation so far. I'm inclined to end it on my part.

OriginalEz
04-09-2008, 03:31 AM
tstav,
Thanks for taking to time to at least read and reply to my threads. I may not have the answer to my question but am am now aware that my intentions for needing code may not be the same reason for needing the code by others.
Sorry if i have offended at all and many thanks again tstav

tstav
04-09-2008, 03:56 AM
No offense at all OriginalEz, you've been very polite.
Regards, tstav