PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Sending an email without attatching the document in VBA for Word

sandam
02-17-2005, 04:35 AM
My boss has asked me if its possible to send an email using a word macro but without sending the doucment as well. I searched the forum and saw Dreamboat's KB entry for sending emails from multiple clients but am unsure how to use this to just send an email.

Essentially what i'd like to be able to do is send an email with a link to the document so that we are only working on one copy of the document (reviewing per say) - the building of the link i've got covered but i'm still pretty much clueless a to how to send the email. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andrew;? :wot

Jacob Hilderbrand
02-17-2005, 04:48 AM
What email application do you use?

sandam
02-17-2005, 04:50 AM
sorry - Outlook 2003 - the whole firm uses Office 2003 (STD edition)

Jacob Hilderbrand
02-17-2005, 04:56 AM
Take a look at this KB Entry (http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=98).

Change the Subject, To, Body, Importance, and Attachments arguments as needed. If you don't want to attach anything just delete the .Attachments line.

sandam
02-17-2005, 05:06 AM
Excellent - thats looks like just what I need. i'll test straight away :)

Jacob Hilderbrand
02-17-2005, 05:08 AM
Let me know if you have any problems or need any of the code clarified.

sandam
02-17-2005, 05:19 AM
only one problem - it says "this macro is attempting to send an email - it may be a virus" and gives the user the option of cancelling the email. I'm sure its the macro security levels but I need to keep this kind of message from happening and I dont know how. Is there a way I can create a didgital certificate for my macros to distribute acros the company network so that I can leave the macro security levels at high for outside security purposes?

Jacob Hilderbrand
02-17-2005, 05:33 AM
AFAIK you cannot disable that message (For Security Purposes). But you can do this instead.

Replace .Send

With .Display

Then the email message should open up fine, but the user will have to send it. This will also give them the option to change the message before sending it.

Anne Troy
02-17-2005, 05:57 AM
AFAIK, there is only one way to get rid of that security prompt. And now I have to remember what it is. It's a 3rd-party application, but I do believe it's free. Let me get that info for you, sandam.

Anne Troy
02-17-2005, 06:00 AM
Phew! I found it quickly: http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/

sandam
02-17-2005, 07:42 AM
cool, having a look at it now. will have to get the bosses approval and then figure on distrubting it around - or and i not sure, if I add it as a reference to a template's macros will it retain the reference regardless of where on the network its accessed?

Anne Troy
02-17-2005, 07:47 AM
I don't think so, sandam. For as long as I can remember, that was the only application that ever bypassed the security, and I've seen it referenced on many technical support sites. I probably first saw it on www.slipstick.com (http://www.slipstick.com), which was created by a MS Outlook MVP. It's as though "this is it" for your issue. And I highly doubt that it'd work on a network. Security is just too touchy of an issue for a free or inexpensive application to work like that...that's what I'm thinking.

sandam
02-17-2005, 07:52 AM
as they say - nothing ventured nothing gained, if i get the ok to use it, i'll post back here and let you know how it worked or didn't as the case may be. Thanks again to you and DRJ for your help on this.

sandam
02-18-2005, 06:09 AM
The powers that be have decided not t full yautomte the email function just set due to possible user errors so I wont get a chance to implement that little piece of software just yet. I might just test it at home and see if it works but for now its almost the weekend and i'm gonna party like its nighty night time :)
:beerchug: :banghead: :devil: