PDA

View Full Version : Convert Office Documents to PDF files through VB

SeanFHoward
04-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Firstly apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum but I am not sure which one is appropriate.

My question is pretty much explained in the title.

I have a Microsoft Access based application that creates reports either as Excel spreadsheets or PowerPoint presentations.

One of my users has requested such existing reports, but as Adobe PDF files. I know there exists utilities that create a new printer to which the report can be "printed" and subsequently a PDF file created, but this would not work for my users as it would mean that having additional software installed at there sites.

Is there such a thing as an ActiveX component which my Access application could reference and thus allow the creation of PDF files (in the same way that Excel & PowerPoint is referenced) or am I totally approaching this from the wrong angle.

Is there a simple (and cheap) way to solve this problem or do I need to do something list purchasing the professional version of Adobe Something?

Any help will be created appreciated

Sean

Oorang
04-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Lebans has one. I haven't tried it, but I was pleased with their mousehook dll.

http://www.lebans.com/reporttopdf.htm

SeanFHoward
04-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for that Oorang but it's not quite what I need. This seems to convert Access Reports/Snapshots to pdf files. What I need to do it convert a spreadsheet/presentation to a pdf file VIA access.

If you get what I mean!

Sean

Oorang
04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Hmm I don't know any thing that does that without a paying for it or going through a few hoops. Buy you could programatically suck in the spreadsheet then spit it back out as a report and convert it. Unless someone else knows of something...

Trevor
04-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Sean,
Do you want to create the pdf from the access report or do you want to create it from the resulting spreadsheet from the report, I think this first option would be easiest, but to go with the second option would result in codeing for excel and powerpoint?

Trevor
04-26-2008, 10:19 PM
if this is 03 office and adobe acrobat is installed I can go to file> save as and under file type change to PDF, you may be able to do the same.... let me know

stanl
05-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Thanks for that Oorang but it's not quite what I need. This seems to convert Access Reports/Snapshots to pdf files. What I need to do it convert a spreadsheet/presentation to a pdf file VIA access.

If you get what I mean!

Sean

check out PrimoPDF - it is free and the output is excellent.

ricksimm
06-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Do a search on Win2PDF. I use the VB interface extensively in Excel and have had no problems.