PDA

View Full Version : Transition to Web

softeng
05-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi,

I have a complex Access database with forms and a lot of code behind them. I'd like to move this towards an online solution in the easiest manner possible (e.g. viewing forms online, so the interface is accessible anywhere). Does anyone have any tips or ideas for accomplishing this? FYI - currently utilizing XP and Office 2003.

Thanks!

stanl
05-05-2008, 02:44 AM
First question would be do you have XP Professional? If so, is IIS enabled (you can check this by going to Add/Remove Programs;Windows Components). This will at least allow you to test access to your tables via a Web interface (asp).

softeng
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, running XP Pro. Also, IIS is enabled. Any more tips are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.

stanl
05-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes, running XP Pro. Also, IIS is enabled. Any more tips are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.

Then you need to start looking in places like http://2enetworx.com/dev/samples/index.asp

to see how asp scripts are developed to query and report Access. Then you might also look at http://databases.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/dataaccess.htm

which covers data access pages and web publishing.

Then when you have something more specific, this forum can be a better help.

Stan

softeng
05-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the reply, but that is not exactly what I'm looking for. Data access pages will not suffice, in terms of the complexity and interactivity that I need and I've considered a transition to ASP, but re-coding the thousands of lines of VBA that I have make it a potentially unviable solution. I was just "testing the waters" with some VBA coders who have potentially been through the same situation that I?m in currently. Basically, due to the amount of code and complexity, I?m looking for something that can ease the amount of reprogramming necessary to complete this task. If anyone has any more suggestions, I appreciate it.

Thanks!

stanl
05-10-2008, 07:18 AM
I?m looking for something that can ease the amount of reprogramming necessary to complete this task. If anyone has any more suggestions, I appreciate it.
Thanks!

I hope somebody does, but IMHO you are SOL. VBA is not that different from VBScript so moving code to asp is often trivial [at least that is my experience].