PDA

View Full Version : Opening Excel from Powerpoint

thefrasers
05-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Not sure if this is an Excel thread or a PowerPoint thread, so I confess I'm posting in both.

My problem is that I'm authoring a PowerPoint presentation which is going to switch from Excel to the slideshow and vice versa.I can quickly open Excel initially, simply by assigning an action to a button in the presentation. I can then switch back to the sideshow using the code...

AppActivate "Powerpoint Slide Show"
I could then assign the same action button next time I open Excel,then I get the command pointing out that the file is already open. I can of course simply say that I don't want to reopen it, and proceed from there, but it's a little bit clumsy. Is there a command in PowerPoint back in work like AppActivate command in Excel? The VBA Help says that this command does exist, but the code

AppActivate "[Microsoft] Excel" doesn't seem to launch Excel from the slide show.

What am I doing wrong?

Peter

thefrasers
05-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Solved it!

Bob Phillips
05-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I didn't realise you were cross-posting! Won't help next time unless you state that up-front!

Ken Puls
05-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I didn't realise you were cross-posting! Won't help next time unless you state that up-front!

Seems to be in the first line of his post(s) Bob. ;)

Not sure if this is an Excel thread or a PowerPoint thread, so I confess I'm posting in both.

Regardless, Peter, you don't need to do that on our board. It's small enough that our users will pick it up no matter which forum you post it in.

Bob Phillips
05-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Seems to be in the first line of his post(s) Bob. ;)

Regardless, Peter, you don't need to do that on our board. It's small enough that our users will pick it up no matter which forum you post it in.

Regardles of that Ken, he also posted on MrExcel which is where I answered it, and what I meant by cross-posting.

IgnBan
05-04-2008, 02:43 PM
He could at least posted the answer, is not just the people working on the post answer, but the people reading the board for learning purpose, ...also people doing a search for the same question, they'll find an incomplete answer

thefraser can you post the solution to your post?

Ken Puls
05-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Regardles of that Ken, he also posted on MrExcel which is where I answered it, and what I meant by cross-posting.

Fair enough, Bob. Should have realized that.

Peter, please read this (http://www.excelguru.ca/node/7).

thefrasers
05-05-2008, 06:03 AM
All,
profuse apologies for the problems, and I accept my actions were beyond the bounds laid out (ignorance is no excuse, but I had not seen those guidelines before). I posted a marginally different question on Mr Excel (it was how to get from Excel to PPT rather than vice-versa), but accept that it wasn't as different as it might be. The solution I was given on Mr Excel (incredibly quickly) was to use the...

AppActivate "Powerpoint Slide Show"

... command in Excel VBA. I tried to use an equivalent command in PowerPoint VBA, but couldn't seem to get it to work. I don't really know why this was, I rather suspect it was because I didn't have Excel loaded already. Confused, I decided to look for solutions here because this was a more general VBA site and my worry was PowerPoint related rather than Excel. (I had never been here before and didn't realise that the same people frequented both). As it turns out the command...

AppActivate "Microsoft Excel"

...works perfectly as a subroutine Macro in PowerPoint. I can understand xlds annoyance since the answer given for Excel did work perfectly for PowerPoint, it's just that somehow I messed up. I apologise for not letting people know what the correct solution was, I was just embarrassed that actually I had the right solution and wasn't using it properly.

This board (and the one on Mr Excel) are invaluable resources for me, as I am not really a computer person and have been trying to teach myself VBA for the last year or so. I'm incredibly grateful to the people who reply on these forums, and the last thing I want to do is abuse the privileges.

Profuse thanks to all those who have helped me, and apologies for the slip-up.

Yours ashamedly,
Peter

rangudu_2008
05-05-2008, 08:25 AM
You can search in this link for invoking files and different applications of MS Office...

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english