PDA

View Full Version : Snap view upon cell click

U_Shrestha
05-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi,

In my attached sheet, if you click on c3, you will see a snap view "9 X 11 =". Can someone please teach me how it is done? Thanks.

Bob Phillips
05-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Nothing clevere at all. He just has a Data Validation (menu Data>Validation...), with that text hard-coded as the input message.

david000
05-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Sub doVal()
For r = 3 To 14
For C = 3 To 14
With Cells(r, C).Validation
.Delete
.Add Type:=xlValidateCustom, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertInformation, _
Operator:=xlBetween, Formula1:="=isnumber(" & Cells(r, C).Address & ")"

.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = "You Made a Mistake"
.InputMessage = Cells(r, 2) & " x " & Cells(2, C) & " = "
.ErrorMessage = "You must enter a number."
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With
Next C
Next r
End Sub

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm

File: Children's Multiplication Exercises

Assists in learning multiplication tables. Contributed by Jim Hubbard. Instructive for children and adults who are learning VBA.

U_Shrestha
05-04-2008, 10:17 AM
thanks you both.

david, that was the exact file i was trying to recreate, but since i don't know VBA, i am finding it difficult to recreate.

can you please list me the steps how it was done. i need to collect about 10 educational games and i find this game by Jim Hubbard to be very useful. thanks.

Norie
05-04-2008, 11:08 AM
U_Shrestha

There is no VBA code in the workbook you attached.:huh:

U_Shrestha
05-05-2008, 05:46 AM
i was talking about this game by Jim Hubbard. i want to learn how to recreate it with fewer number of columns. thanks.

Norie
05-05-2008, 07:39 AM
But that's not the workbook you attached originally.:huh:

If you are going to attach something or refer to something then it's a good idea that it's the right something.:)

U_Shrestha
05-07-2008, 11:43 AM
But that's not the workbook you attached originally.:huh:

If you are going to attach something or refer to something then it's a good idea that it's the right something.:)
norie, i don't understand which code are u looking for in any of my posts. my first attachment didn't have any code on it, it only had snap view of numbers which now i understand that it can be created from data validation or VB code (did u read my question carefully?); in my later posting i attached the exact workbook (Created by Jim Hubbard) from where the issue emerged.

i am just wondering if someone would teach me how the Multiplication Table game by Jim Hubbard was done. thanks. :)

mdmackillop
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Open Data Validation for one of the cells and check out Input Message.

U_Shrestha
05-08-2008, 06:29 AM
hi mdmackillop,

thanks for the reply. i have found the answer to this question.

this feature of text view from data validation method is utilized in the game Multiplication Table by Jim Hubbard. actually i posted this question in an attempt to learn the steps used to create this game and i am still lost. i am interested to know the steps taken to create this game, so would that be this same thread or a new thread? i have attached the game with this post as well. thanks again :)

mdmackillop
05-08-2008, 11:07 AM
The colour change relies on conditional formatting. The code for checking the results is visible in the VBE

U_Shrestha
05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
so i set up a table and in B2:N14, and use conditional formatting in c3:n14. in the range R3:AC14 I see a series of following formula like "=AND(C3=$B3*C$2)" but don't see TRUE or FALSE, what is it doing? and in P3=there is this formula "COUNTIF(R3:AC14,"FALSE")", it seems this is used against the chart. how do u make that type of chart? (don't need to be exact, i want to make something similar).

in column AE, i see series of =rand() formula but no value, why?

it seems executing the "Start Over" button brings random numbers in AD1:AD12.

mdmackillop
05-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Check the Help file for these basic functions and concepts.