PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Need someone to discreetly look at my code

slang
05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Our IT department did not have the time or resources to deliver a simple application for our field staff so I have been forced into developing an application myself. :banghead:

I have not coded in quite some time and as we are nearing the launch date for this ?Beast? I am getting considerably nervous of what might be lurking in the code that has not came forward from the five users in the field that are testing.: pray2:

Anyone game to look under the hood and see some pretty unorthodox methods of getting to the same result?:rotlaugh: :bug:

Thanks to anyone who has simpathy...

Simon Lloyd
05-06-2008, 01:30 PM
For a start to a post, interesting! for a post posing a query or question, poor! do you have a specific problem or question?

matthewspatrick
05-08-2008, 06:14 AM
[...] as we are nearing the launch date for this ?Beast? I am getting considerably nervous of what might be lurking in the code that has not came forward from the five users in the field that are testing.: pray2: [...]

If my experience is any guide, once real users have their hands on the app, you will find that they will discover the most amazing ways to break it :devil2:

Seriously, do not be afraid of having to do several iterations of remedial development. Just make sure to level-set everyone's expectations, and make sure that people understand that for some time the app may be a steadily improving work in progress.

Now, how about sharing some of the details?

Aussiebear
05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
How we managed to "Solve" this one has got me beaten...... Yet the OP has marked it so.:dunno

slang
05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Well here is the story.
I took an app I built eight years ago and tried to build a larger more advanced version of it for multiple users. Since I have not written one line of code in that time I quickly realized I was in over my head. So I did my best in designing the screens and the logic to get what I needed out of it.
I ended up with a”Beast” that would make any novice coder roll on the floor because it is mostly built using macro recorder. Quite frankly I would be embarrassed to post this thing the way it is right now.
So with time running out, three other major projects on the go, and way too many questions to ask, I needed one person to look at my code rather than the whole forum.
I really like coding in Excel and I want to become good at it again hopefully through involvement in this board. I really wanted to delete the thread but all I could do was mark it solved.

I apologize for the errors in some of my posts. I will get better and hopefully be able to contribute to the board in the future.

Aussiebear
05-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Hi Slang, If you have a genuine reason for the thread to be deleted then forward a request to the Site Administrators, however be prepared to have to really justify it to them. To date, unless there's something that you haven't yet mentioned, there's nothing there in the thread so far, that would be compelling.

Don't worry about making mistakes, we all do from time to time, although it could be argued that my frequency rating is "often". I look at it as providing someone the chance to laugh.

Back to your initial interest. Maybe if you provide a written outline of your project, someone here might offer to look at it. NO promises, but its a possibility. So far you haven't given us any real idea of what the project is about, how much code is involved, and or any issues involved. The other thing to bear in mind is that most people are very busy with their own projects. So to ask someone to get involved in another project, is a big ask.

You could consider breaking down the individual segments that your having issues with, and post these for general comments, or assistance.

Bob Phillips
05-12-2008, 03:22 AM
You could consider breaking down the individual segments that your having issues with, and post these for general comments, or assistance.

That is the key, break it down into manageable chunks, and work on them one at a time. Prsenting the whole lot may scare people off, small bites will ensure progress.

Zack Barresse
05-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Posting small bits can be advantageous, but you should then be sure to post letting everyone know that there is more and what the entire scope of the project is, and more importantly how the small portion applies to the larger picture.

And no, the Site Admins will probably not delete your thread. :)

I'd still recommend posting your project. No need for embarrassment here. :yes

mdmackillop
05-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Should have posted earlier.:blush
I'm looking at the code for Slang. It's basically a lot of copying and pasting from recorded macros that needs tidied up.