PDA

View Full Version : Userform size varies on pc and mac

gwh
05-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I've created a userform and have noticed that the size of the form is a lot smaller if I view it in Word 2004 on a mac than when viewed in Word 2007 on a pc. The pc version is quite a bit larger.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I thought about screen resolution but I'm using Parallels on the mac so I'm actually viewing it on the same computer - one on the mac side, one on the pc side via parallels.

Any advice is appreciated.

tpoynton
05-09-2008, 05:12 AM
posting a sample doc might help folks take a peek and see if it is something specific to your computer, a property setting, etc.

I have not seen this happen with Excel userforms; are you sure the zoom settings in Word are the same in both environments? and RE: the resolution, that could do it too...I dont have parallels to test it out. You could also try booting into bootcamp - if you have parallels set to use the bootcamp partition.

gwh
05-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the reply,

posting a sample doc might help folks take a peek and see if it is something specific to your computer, a property setting, etc.

Could you tell me what kind of settings specifically may effect the size?

I have not seen this happen with Excel userforms; are you sure the zoom settings in Word are the same in both environments? and RE: the resolution, that could do it too...I dont have parallels to test it out. You could also try booting into bootcamp - if you have parallels set to use the bootcamp partition.

I checked the zoom setting in the properties panel in the vba editor and they're both set to 100. I don't actually have bootcamp - I need to update to os 10.5 to get it.

Apparently, you can't assume that whoever will be using the form will have a high screen resolution - is there a way to ensure that the size of the form will always fit in the available screen size and resolution?

tpoynton
05-09-2008, 07:06 AM
I dont have access to word 2004 at the moment, but is the zoom (available in the 'view' menu from the toolbar in 2003, and prior I believe) the same in both?

nevermind with that; zoom of the entire doc has nothing to do with userform size.

I'll put up a test doc that has a userform and button of the same size. SO, question is, are the button and userform in the attachment the same size? if so, it seems like a resolution issue where people have chosen to have their resolution to whatever it is, where everything they look at is smaller - not just your userform.

I'll bet there is a way to dynamically size it. this MS article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213768) talks about how to do it by adding a button. you may also find this KB article (http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=798) useful

gwh
05-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the test. I opened one up in word 2004 on the mac and the other on 2007 pc. The one on the mac was smaller than when viewing on the pc which was larger. Does this mean there's some setting that may be causing it?

tpoynton
05-09-2008, 12:25 PM
SO, question is, are the button and userform in the attachment the same size?

shades
05-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Howdy. I think it might relate to how Macs and PCs measure size based on screen resolution (96 dpi vs. 72 dpi). I know in the past that caused problems, similar problems working between XL 2000/2003 (Win) and 2004 (Mac), when I helped someone a few years ago.

Also, you mentioned Word, but the referenced article regards XL (specifically 2000).