PDA

View Full Version : trying to align an inlineshape to bottom of page

m.i.c.
05-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Hello everybody,

i am new to this forum and have a problem.

I'm adding an inlineshape to a word doc, but since it's too big to fit on one page, it is automatically zoomed out, and becomes unreadable (letters too small).
I'm trying now to split that inlineshape over two pages, but I know that this is not possible, so i tried another approach (which i found on the net somewhere) :
I'm inserting two times the same inlineshape, the idea is to align the top of the first picture to the top of the first page, so that the bottom is cut off (which works automatically, so that's ok :)) and then i would like to align the bottom of the second picture to the bottom of the second page (so that the top is cut off) But that last step doesn't work.
Does anybody know if it's possible to align the bottom of an inlineshape to the bottom of the page?

Thank you very much,
M

fumei
05-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Why not use a proper graphic application to make two images?

gwkenny
05-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Yes it is possible but it's a huge pain in the ass.

With laser printers, the printer will print only to a specific distance to the edge of the paper. Might be 1/32nd of an inch. You would need this to know how far to place your graphic in word from the edge of the paper.

Course you can always "fake" the printer out by definining a custom paper size and using manual feed, and the printer will print right to the edge and beyond.

MY RECOMMENDATION
Make the inline shape the way you want it (even though it goes over 1-page).

Copy the shape in Word.

Paste the shape back in Word AS A GRAPHIC.

Paste the shape back in Word as a graphic again. Then you'll have two graphic shapes.

Crop the bottom of the first graphic. This will go on page 1. Crop the top of the second graphic so it matches the first graphic. Course this goes on page 2.

Your done!

:)

fumei
05-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Interesting. But it still comes down to applying graphical tools to achieve a solution. It simply uses Word's (limited) graphical abilities...i.e. the cropping.

You are still making two graphics.

Again, why not do it properly, using a graphics application?

gwkenny
05-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Gerry:

Again, it is all in how you view things. Unless you are creating a stat for advertising then it is properly done. All he needs are Word's limited graphic abilities. He can even go so far as to remove the cropped regions using Word's properties on the graphic and it would be identical to a graphics program output unless he wanted better resolution.

The main reason I would do it the way I suggested though is just time. It would take me less than a minute to do what I suggested. If I had to bring up Adobe. Copy into the clipboard from Word. Create a new file in Adobe (which will assume the shape and definition of the object in the clipboard). Paste from the clipboard. Adjust image size/resolution as necessary and then perform manipulations, I'm way over 1 minute of time.

re-reading my posts... I want to clarify what I meant by a "pain in the ass" in my previous post. I meant aligning a graphic to the very bottom of a page. I've had to do this before for stupid reasons and had to look up a printer's limitations before I learned about creating a manual paper size just a bit longer than actual paper size and manual feed which would allow me to print to the very edge of the paper (and on the drum if you do it wrong!).

Didn't mean using a graphics program, though that sometimes can be a pain in the ass too :)

In this case though, it is a solution that just simply takes more time.

fumei
05-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Well thought out, and well expressed.

GregQik
07-12-2008, 12:49 AM
I produce student workbooks with different types of graphics. Most of the time in-line pictures work best, however occasionly dumping graphics into a textbox is the simplest and fastest method for one-off tasks. You could then manually re-set the horizontal and vertical position of the text box to align with the the page boundaries which will achieve your first request of aligning the graphic to the bottom of the page.

For tasks that are repeated often, a paragraph style with a frame permits the document to remain in-line but also to be re-positioned to an absolute page position like the text box.

My prefference is textboxes for quick and dirty one-offs and framed paragraph styles for consistency with many graphics.