PDA

View Full Version : excel programming issues

vampyrus
05-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I was given something to use by a friend of mine to allow me to keep track of my movies and when I have tried to use it I find that it doesn't seem to be complete.

I am not very code savvy so am not sure exactly where the issues might be and was hoping that someone might be willing to have a look at it for me.

It makes use of user forms to input data and also search for data and return the results.
The problem I am having is that when I input data in 3 areas on the user form it is not adding it to the spreadsheet.
I want to make some changes to some of the inputs on the user forms as I want to track different types of data to what this one does.

The problem I am having is that when I use the form and input data for "rating", "year" and "genre" they are not populating to the results.

I am also wondering if anyone might know how I can turn this into an exe file that I can just double click and run from windows desktop instead of having to open excel to run it.

R1C1
05-25-2008, 12:32 PM
"The problem I am having is that when I use the form and input data for "rating", "year" and "genre" they are not populating to the results."

Seems to work fine for me. It is populating to the current lists on Sheets("Main"). Look at Sheets("Main").Columns("BZ:CF") and make sure each lists contain what you want to see when the form opens.

I see the lists are not sorted. You could insert code that will sort the list if a new name is added. This would be helful since these lists drive the dropdown lists in the Add userforms.

If I might make a suggestion, change the Style properties of each of the comboboxes on forms frmInputDVD and frmInputVideo to fmStyleDropDownList instead of fmStyleDropDownCombo.

Alan

vampyrus
05-25-2008, 02:00 PM
"The problem I am having is that when I use the form and input data for "rating", "year" and "genre" they are not populating to the results."

Seems to work fine for me. It is populating to the current lists on Sheets("Main"). Look at Sheets("Main").Columns("BZ:CF") and make sure each lists contain what you want to see when the form opens.

I see the lists are not sorted. You could insert code that will sort the list if a new name is added. This would be helful since these lists drive the dropdown lists in the Add userforms.

If I might make a suggestion, change the Style properties of each of the comboboxes on forms frmInputDVD and frmInputVideo to fmStyleDropDownList instead of fmStyleDropDownCombo.

Alan

Okay I will have a look at that thanks.

You say it works fine for you, so when you use the view button to have a look at a new entryy after you create it, it shows you results in the "ratins" etc ??

Bob Phillips
05-25-2008, 03:25 PM
That is certainly what happens for me.

R1C1
05-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes, everything showed as entered. I entered something in every available entry point. I see no problems and got no error message when I ran it.

vampyrus
05-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks very much for the replies guys ..... I have just found out that my problem is that I was unaware that for listboxes to generate data they had to actually be clicked into and highlighted once the data has been selected.
Now that I know this the fields are generating perfectly.
I am thinking about looking at changing them to combo boxes instead of list boxes. :)

vampyrus
05-27-2008, 03:47 AM

Alan

Okay ... I changed the style properties to DropDownList but then I found that it wouldn't let me add any new actors names to the lists, I could only select from existing entries in the lists.

What's the code that will keep the lists sorted in alphabetical order at all times and where should I put it ?

Is there a way to make the view all button display all the movies in the excel spreadsheet form rather than in a user form?

I would like to be able to actually have a database that can be used by other people in my family so we can all see what movies each of us have as we all like to borrow movies from one another. The way I thought to do this is to add checkboxes in the input forms that would be checked when a movie is entered and would then generate a select of some form in a column in the spreadsheet. ie: checkboxes that have: "mom", "brother" "uncle" etc and a column for each of these people in the spreadsheet that when the checkbox is selected on the input form it places a yes in the corresponding colummn .....

Is there a way to make this database as an exe file so it runs as dbl click from desktop?

My other concern is that when we all swap databases between ourselves if they are named the same thing then they will overwrite when i download "brothers database" from my emails and while I get all his new movies I will lose any of mine that have been added in recent times. Is there some way that we can have something that can be run that will check data between spreadsheets and add new entries to each so that they are updated?
ie: have "my database" and then "brothers database" is emailed to me and I can compare them both and make them the same.

Hope all this makes sense.

Bob Phillips
05-27-2008, 04:02 AM
It means that it acts like a listbox, not a combobox, so you cannot enter an item not in the list.

vampyrus
05-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah I worked that out thanks.