PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Save location

khalid79m
05-29-2008, 10:04 AM
:rotlaugh: I have a file which is used by a staff member located miles away from me. I want to monitor all the updates he makes to the file. So when he saves and closes the file, I want the file to save in the location he has it stored but I also want it to save it in F:/mydrive/Checkup. Can this be done? so we both have an uptodate copy.

or on save and close can it be emailed to me via lotus notes?

open to suggestions..

thanks for your help

grichey
05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
If he can access your drive and you his, why not just store one copy that you both access rather than 2 seperate copies?

RonMcK
05-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Better yet, have him save the file to a network folder that you both have access to. Your machine won't need to be running when he saves the file and his computer can be off when you open the file to review his changes. And, while either of you has the file open, the other will get a warning msg that the file can only be opened as read-only.

Cheers!

khalid79m
05-30-2008, 04:22 AM
how can i get it to save to a network drive ??

RonMcK
05-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Do you and the other users have personal folders on a network server? You need to work with your system or network administrator so you both have access to a folder on a server on the network.

When you can navigate to the folder's location using FIle Explorer, you can use that filepath in your vba code. As a matter of my personal coding style, I dimension a variable (myFilePath) and stuff the path in it. Then, when opening or saving the file, I concatenate this with the filename (myFilePath & myFilename) so the path is only hardcoded in one place.

Does this help?