PDA

View Full Version : Solved: automatic email event

DBinPhilly
06-01-2008, 09:26 AM
I've created an MS Access program that imports some production machine -generated text files into access tables, then creates some reports from that data, then emails the reports to concerned users.

I am attempting to make the entire process automatic. The program is started by the Windows scheduler and everything works fine, until:

the email is passed to Outlook as a Snapshot and a list of recipients is also sent.

BUT: then the email program (MS Outlook in this case), states that someone is trying to send an email automatically, do you want to allow it?

Does anyone know a way around this halt. It kinda throws a damper into the reason for all the finagalling to get an automatic procedure running.

DBinPhilly
06-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I've figured out the fix myself. It was accomplished by changing the MS Outlook security.

FrymanTCU
08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I've been looking in the Tools>Options but have not found this setting... DBinPhilly can you explain further or does anyone have another work around for this?

DBinPhilly
08-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I had forgotten about this post and I'm struggling to remember the program. It's at the Philly Inquirer. I'll email my contact down there and see if he can refresh my memory.

CreganTur
08-14-2008, 05:14 AM
I've been looking in the Tools>Options but have not found this setting... DBinPhilly can you explain further or does anyone have another work around for this?
For DBinPhilly's example- he physically changed his Outlook security settings to Low. Doing this keeps Outlook from throwing an alert when an outside program tries to utilize it.

FrymanTCU
08-14-2008, 07:17 AM
So I guess that would not be a recommended practice... Is there a way to do this in the Macro/Module and then change the security setting back? I'm going to do some Ninja research into that but I thought there was another way to get around this but I have been unable to find the thread.

CreganTur
08-14-2008, 07:26 AM
So I guess that would not be a recommended practice...

This is kind of a personal choice. If you're the only one running the macro, then as long as you're okay with it :dunno

But if multiple users will be involved, then management might nix a plan to lower security:whip

Is there a way to do this in the Macro/Module and then change the security setting back?
I'm pretty sure that you could not use Access VBA to change the security settings in Outlook... otherwise what's the point of the security features?

If you don't want to lower your security settings (which is understandable) then it might be possible to click the 'ok' button on Outlook's warning window via VBA- there are a lot of threads devoted to topics like this(clicking buttons on popup windows), so searching the forums would probably yield some results.

Mavyak
08-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Look into Redemption to bypass the OOM security warning. Not sure how much support you will get for programming with it. The dll is not very well documented but it does work.

FrymanTCU
08-14-2008, 11:00 AM
The Redemption DLL downloads I found were $199, I don't mean to be a cheap @$$ but I don't think I'll use it enough to justify the cost. I did find something about send STMP Mail directly from Access. Has anyone done this? Is there anyway to adapt my Email.Send function?

FrymanTCU
08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I got some help from one of the IT guys that works out of our office, he gave me a copy of a program called ClickYes. It does not hide the Pop-up window but it automatically clicks yes everytime the meassage appears. Check ContextMagic.com for more information.

Carl A
08-21-2008, 08:54 AM
VBAExpress has an article written by Charlize on how to use it.

http://vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?p=124611#post124611