PDA

View Full Version : need help scanning a document/picture with access

irisbu
06-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I need to create a program in access that can scan a document/picture and save them in a chosen folder and then saves the metadata of the document/picture that will be fed to the Data Base with fields like:
* document name
* document number
* key words
and so on.

That way the document/picture will be saved strait from access with all its properties.

I hope my explenation is clear enough.

Thank you for your help.

OTWarrior
06-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Just wondering, but what is wrong with the software that comes with the scanner itself? Or is this a case of seeing if it can be done?

irisbu
06-06-2008, 03:31 AM
the document with an access software is that I want to save it with properties that I need to retrieve the document from the software. properties like: document name, date, serial number, key words and so on.

thanks,

Iris

OTWarrior
06-06-2008, 03:46 AM
I don't use scanners often, but I think soe of the more modern ones can read text from a scanned file, and save it to a word document. If that is the case, you can easily read that information into Access. Do you already have software that can do this?

The first problem, is that you need to read the scanner, which I am not sure Access can do normally. Having said that, I know you can interface to a printer, so perhaps you can automate the scanning software (or at the very least just open it).

So long as you don't mind having to manually scan the files (which you'd need to change the documents in the scanner physically anyway) then I think a solution can be found.

Charlize
06-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Work in progress. Should display a messagebox if a scanner is available.
Sub scanning()
'Install this first
'remove the _ at the end of first line and paste
'in browser as one long line.
'http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=_
'a332a77a-01b8-4de6-91c2-b7ea32537e29&DisplayLang=en
'You need to use command regsvr32 Winau???.dll to register it
'Read info of zip to install
'Required reference: Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition Library v2.0
Dim objDlg As Object
Dim objMgr As Object
Dim vloop As Long
Set objDlg = CreateObject("WIA.CommonDialog")
Set objMgr = CreateObject("WIA.DeviceManager")
If objMgr.DeviceInfos.Count = 0 Then
MsgBox "No devices found ! I'm sorry.", vbInformation
Else
For vloop = 1 To objMgr.DeviceInfos.Count
MsgBox objMgr.DeviceInfos(vloop).Properties("Name").Value & vbCrLf & _
"[ " & objMgr.DeviceInfos(vloop).DeviceID & " ]"
Next vloop
End If
End SubCharlize

irisbu
06-06-2008, 08:30 AM
because the documents I need are signed contracts.

I don't have the software yet, I need to built it.

It is suppose to be a software that manages my arcive which has all kinds of documents: word, pdf, mail, fax (fax to mail), Powerpoint and so on. I need to create some kind of data base so that I will be able to rerrieve the documents with several categories.