PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Remove standard templates

mdmackillop
06-02-2008, 03:54 AM
We have our own template structure. C:\Templates (http://vbaexpress.com/forum/) on the PC for individual templates and S:\Templates on the server for shared templates. How do I prevent the standard installed Word templates from showing when I select File/New?

Brandtrock
06-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Tools>Options>File Location has
User templates
Workgroup templates

Can't you set the directories there?

mdmackillop
06-02-2008, 05:39 AM
I have, and I've even deleted the Word templates fiolder, but the system is looking for it and prompting for the Office CD

gwkenny
06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Word 200?

Thanks,

fumei
06-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I am not sure you can. Even if I set User Templates to a garbage folder (C:\ZZZ - which does exist), File > New will result in a dialog with the default Tabs for templates. AND clicking on a built-in template does indeed produce a document.

gwkenny
06-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow, looks like the default templates are hard coded into Word. I erased the templates, but kept the directory and it offered up all the "standard" choices! Ran installer when I tried one of the templates I erased.

Ugly ugly!

mdmackillop
06-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Word 200?

Thanks,

Yes. I should have said!

fumei
06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Yes gw, the default templates ARE hard-coded into Word. Always have been.

Malcolm: "Yes. I should have said!"

but....ummmm...still haven't. Not that it is important really in this case. I do not think you can do this. Why not just put your own template folder off the existing one. At least it becomes a Tab on the dialog.

This is what I do.

Alternately you can override FileNew to have it display a userform with just your own templates listed.

This would not effect clicking the new doc button, as THAT command is FileNewDefault...not FileNew.

mdmackillop
06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Gerry
It's 2000! I'm sure I did delete Word Templates before, but maybe that was back in 97 or even earlier. I'm just trying to tidy up all our office templates and the multiple Word tabs are a nuisance as I have multiple folders of templates of our own and they won't all display. I'll keep digging.
Thanks all.

gwkenny
06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes gw, the default templates ARE hard-coded into Word. Always have been.

{said in my best brooklyn accent}
Hey man, don't make me break out my MS Word 1.0 discs!!! I think I still have those eleven 360k disks somewhere!!!

Guess there was some benefits working with document management systems. Didn't come across this sooner!

:)

fumei
06-03-2008, 08:51 AM
LOL!

MS Word 1.0....you have them too? I think my fav of the DOS versions of Word was 4.

Anne Troy
06-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Sorry, Malcolm, I don't have much time to spend, but did you read this?
http://addbalance.com/word/templates.htm

Gotta scroll down below the BS.

Hi, guys!! GREAT to see you!
((((Malcolm))))
((((Gerry))))
((((TJ))))

mdmackillop
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks Anne,
Following a chain of links got me to here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q210884/) where I found this solution.
Regards
Malcolm

6.How do I prevent a default tab from appearing?

Answer: To prevent a default tab from appearing in the New dialog box (on the File menu, click New), you must uninstall all of the templates that are located on that tab.

For example, if you do not want the Letters & Faxes tab to appear when you click New on the File menu, you must uninstall those templates from the following folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033\
To remove the Letters & Faxes tab (and its associated templates), follow these steps:

a. Quit Microsoft Word 2000.b. On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.c. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.d. On the Install/Uninstall tab, click to select Microsoft Word 2000 (or Microsoft Office 2000), and then click Add/Remove.e. Click Add or Remove Features.f. Click to expand (click the plus sign) Microsoft Word for Windows.g. Click to expand Wizards and Templates.h. Click Letters and click to select Not Available from the drop-down list.i. Click Faxes and click to select Not Available from the drop-down list.j. Click Update Now to continue the Setup program and remove the Letters and Faxes templates from your system.