PDA

View Full Version : Converting tables to linked tables

cornall
06-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi,

I have been tasked with looking after a Access application that is spilt into front end and back end.

However there are about 5 tables in the front end db. I want to move these to the backend DB and have done this and can't see any undesirable effects.

Is there any reason to keep the tables in the front end? What could the reason for thm being in the fornt end be? Or is it totaly fine to move them to the backend.

Cheers D

CreganTur
06-02-2008, 09:27 AM
It's totally fine to move them to the backend database.

I do this for a DB I designed- the backed, or Data database is hidden in a secured foldder on our server (so the users can't delete it accidentally) and then they only have a front-end DB that is linked to the Data database.

If you are connecting to a server or shared drive, make sure that you use the server name for your filepath, since it could be J:\ on your comp, and N:\ on the user's comp. This will allow the link to be flexible, so you won't have to manually re-establish or refresh the link when you give the frontend Db to your users.

cornall
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Cheers,

I am a bit new to Access and VBA been working in SQL servrer and Oracle environments in the past.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some strange reason for having some tables i the front end! I kind of thought perhaps only some operations could be performed on tables within the DB.

I have moved them all and passed to the user for QA :-)

Thanks Again apreciated.

D