PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Help with a combobox!

HarryB
02-24-2005, 02:41 AM
Hello,

I have an Excel spreadsheet that uses a combobox to allow me to choose a name from a list and put it in another cell. This has worked fine for 5 years, but suddenly has started reading only 30 names from the list.

The list changes in length and at one stage was about 170 names long, which the combobox read without difficulty.

This all used to run on a W98 machine and is now on an XP Pro machine with Excel 2002. I'm not aware that the problem started with this change but it is possible. I've crawled all over the properties and cannot see anything that would affect this. I've tried making a new combobox (using the Forms COntrol) and this also seems to read more than 30 names, but would mean re-writing all the macros (which I did 5 years ago and took me ages....:dunno)

Can anyone help with this...:motz2:?

gibbo1715
02-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Are you deleting a row each time a name is removed? if so this may (depending on how the combobox is set up) remove 1 from your combobox range each time you delete a name and your combobox range would gradually get shorter.

HarryB
02-24-2005, 03:00 AM
The list that the combobox reads is named. Each time the list is updated, the macro deletes the old named list, defines the new one and renames it. In this way the list can grow or shrink as necessary.
I tried shrinking the list to 25 and naming that, but the combobox reads....30 lines. And when I lengthened the list to more than 30, with the named range accordingly, the combobox sticks to 30 lines.

gibbo1715
02-24-2005, 04:33 AM
easiest thing will be if you post a copy if thats possible

HarryB
02-24-2005, 08:47 AM
The problem has gone away. The only reason I can see is that we had a powercut late morning just as I was using the spreadsheet - clearly scared the wits out of whatever was being a pain.

Thanks to anyone whose mind was getting into gear about this, especially gibbo1715.

Rgds:motz2:

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Harry: You can mark your thread solved by choosing the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the page, which has 14, and only 14, options. Always. LOL!! Glad you got it fixed.

HarryB
02-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks Dreamboat, I shall remember for next time. Though I'm not sure this was 'solved' - solving implies understanding why something has happened, as opposed to it just happening....

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Well, we don't have it "Fixed--Don't know how--But it's fixed" option. LOL. :)

gibbo1715
02-24-2005, 10:27 AM
glad its sorted itself Harry