PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] All Office Application Events

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Anybody know of a (respected and won't move the page on us in a year) web page that lists all the events in MS Office?

And thanks for your help, guys. I'm really under the gun to finish this project.

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Also: What is more appropriate? Hope you understand that these are difficult Google searches...

a) ForEach loops

b) For Each loops

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Which is more appropriate when talking about a line of code like this:

Do While Not EOF(File)

Do you call it a loop? Or a Do Loop? Or what?

Paleo
02-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Anne,

its a Do Loop.

Which is more appropriate when talking about a line of code like this:

Do While Not EOF(File)

Do you call it a loop? Or a Do Loop? Or what?

Ken Puls
02-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Anne,

Fwiw, I haven't. Even Microsoft doesn't have a page that lists all the events in one place.

The page I gave to Zack a while ago though here (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359&page=2) does link them to each "new" section. If we could get Zack to post it, then maybe you could link them here? :dunno

Paleo
02-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi Anne,

the right is "For Each" it must be separated.

Also: What is more appropriate? Hope you understand that these are difficult Google searches...

a) ForEach loops

b) For Each loops

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Whatchoo mean, "new"?

Ken Puls
02-24-2005, 07:10 PM
It links to the entire object model for 97, then each verision, but MS only posts the "new" events added since the prior version.

It does, at least, put all the links on one page.

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Paleo, may I print your real name in an Office VBA book for making a small, but not insignificant, contribution?

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks, Ken. I thought it'd alleviate some work for us if there was a full list somewhere. Fergit it. If it's only partial, heck with it. :) Thanks!

Paleo
02-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Anne,

here is it.
http://www.mugrs.org/etc/MSDN%20References.htm

The file Ken told us about.

Paleo
02-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Anne,

gee I trully would love that!:cloud9:

Paleo, may I print your real name in an Office VBA book for making a small, but not insignificant, contribution?

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:23 PM
That's terrific. I'll use it if you do ONE little thing for me? Rename the file so there's no % sign in the name. :)

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh! And promise not to move it for at least TWO years! :D

Paleo
02-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Ok, I will do it.

Here its new address: http://www.mugrs.org/etc/MSDNRef.htm and yes I will keep it.

That's terrific. I'll use it if you do ONE little thing for me? Rename the file so there's no % sign in the name. :)

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Okay. If I am writing a book and I want to BRIEFLY describe WITH STATEMENTS.

Do you feel that I am obliged to also describe IF STATEMENTS? Or are IFs more self-explanatory?

Paleo
02-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, as I own the domain and the host I can promise that.

Oh! And promise not to move it for at least TWO years! :D

Paleo
02-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, that very much depends on whats your target audience.

I would describe both so it can be readen and understood by more people.

Okay. If I am writing a book and I want to BRIEFLY describe WITH STATEMENTS.

Do you feel that I am obliged to also describe IF STATEMENTS? Or are IFs more self-explanatory?

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks again, Carlos!
You AND your web will now be in there. :)

Paleo
02-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Great Anne, thank you very much!

Anne Troy
02-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Does the following statement make sense?

When a macro is named with the same name as an internal command, the macro runs in place of the command.

Paleo
02-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I think so.

TonyJollans
02-25-2005, 06:58 AM
When a macro is named with the same name as an internal command, the macro runs in place of the command.

It makes sense in Word but the same facility is not in other Office programs - least I couldn't swear for all of them but I think it's only Word.

Anne Troy
02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Tony.

Another question....

I have private sub and public sub.

I have function.

WTF is Type??

Zack Barresse
02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Anne,

I would not say you were obligated to describe IF statements in the same topic as WITH statements. Two very seperate and different methods. Or did I miss something? (Just found this thread.)

Re: Ken's file, I need to get it up. Did you take a look at it Anne? Is it helping?

I believe this will give you an error in Excel, at least it does for me. You should get a compile error that says, "Expected identifier."

Anne Troy
02-25-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm not using the file. I'm simply providing a link to it.

I've decided to scratch specific references to with and ifs and such in each of the procedures we're providing. BUT, I am gonna provide a brief description of those kinds of statements.

In other words, I was gonna say "the following procedure uses blah blah; refer to the appendix". I've decided to just say in the beginning something like "for a brief explanation on many of the ...., see the appendix."

TonyJollans
02-25-2005, 05:15 PM
If I'm following this, Type is basically a definition of a Data Structure.

Say you are working with information about a person. You could have lots of variables - name, age, email addy, inside leg, whatever. Or you could declare a Type:

Type PersonDetails
Name as String
Age As Long ' To allow for modern miracles
EMail as String
InsideLeg as Integer
End Type

and then you could declare a variable of that Type instead of one of the built in types:

Dim Tony as PersonDetails

and you would have access to all of the details in a kind of obvious way:

Tony.Name = "Tony"
Tony.Age = 52 etc.

or you could have an array of friends and want the same info on all of them:

Dim Friend(1 to 100) as PersonDetails

Friend(1).Name = "Anne"
Friend(2).Name = "Annie"
Friend(3).Name = "Dreamboat"

I could go on ... :rofl

Anne Troy
02-25-2005, 05:38 PM
I see that EYE am not in that list of friends??
What's up with that!!!???

Thanks!!

Ken Puls
02-25-2005, 07:28 PM
:think:

Anne, I noticed that he didn't put the End Sub line in... maybe you're the first one off the screen. :dunno

Anne Troy
02-25-2005, 07:33 PM
There! I fixed his code!

Ken Puls
02-25-2005, 08:14 PM
:rotlaugh:

And here you say you know nothing about VBA! :thumb

TonyJollans
02-26-2005, 01:52 AM
You see, you DO know code :cool:

I was writing code for you - and I just guessed that you might have some friends with those names. You can use your real friends if you like.:rotlaugh: