PDA

View Full Version : Help using Excel as a database

flashdazza
06-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Is there a way of doind access sort of stuff in excel????

I am creating a system that will allow customers to take out 3 videogames.

I have a userform with the customers details on then it also has the games there are renting

The is a spreadsheet with the games on it "GameTable"
There is also a spreadsheet called "CustomerTable" and on each row it show the customers name adrress games rented etc each in different cells

So this will continue down the spreadsheet for all the customers i have.

In the userform i will select a game from a different userform using a button persific to that game (i.e. halo3 xbox) and this will then be placed in the orginal first userform in a textbox caled "GameRental1". The orginal first userform also contains the details of which customer etc.

how can i get it to add the game in the correct row for that customer???? Please help me!!

:S

I have a range called "customerZone" which is set to ("CustomerTable!A1")

And also a range called "gameZone" which is set to ("GameTable!A1")
if this helps

Thank you if you help me out:)

flashdazza
06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
‘Gamers Exchange’ is a software rental service. To borrow a game, a customer must become a member. After that, they can borrow up to three titles for a monthly period (the member cannot have more than three titles on loan at once). The company would like to keep a check on what category of game is most popular and produce a league table of titles of borrowed games.

Please take a look at what i have got so far.. and let me know what i should do next??

Please Many Many thanks

Needs to be done in Excel, as it cannot be done in Access

lucas
06-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Flash,
Please don't create multiple threads asking the same question. I haved merged your threads into one so you can get someone to look at all the info at one time and maybe be able to help with it.

Also please always give your thread titles a meaningful name. Help! will cause many to ignore the thread and is not useful when people are searching the threads looking for their own solutions.

In additon, this seems to be a major project being requested by a company that should be quite able to pay to get this done. If you are getting paid you should ask specific questions to resolve each issue one at a time and not ask for a completed project.

flashdazza
06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok fair enough. Thanks for merging them together :)

CreganTur
06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
1) Welcome to the forum, great to see new faces!

2) I noticed you've got 3 threads all dealing with the exact same subject. Please give us time to respond before you post another thread asking the same questions.

3) Is there a reason why you cannot do this in Access? As Access is a database management system, it would be the easier road for your answer- do you not have a copy of Access, or are you unfamiliar with Access, and that's why you don't want to use it?

NinjaEdit: Lucas, you must have beaten me while I was typing:goofball:

flashdazza
06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Sorry wont do that again was very stupid of me to post so many times.

The user that will be using the system has requested it to be in excel!!.. which is extremly hard to do! just wondering if this is possible at all??

Sorry again!

lucas
06-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Let's start over Flashdazza,
I'm sure this can be done in Excel but you need to start at one point and ask a question, get it resolved and move to the next question.

In your first post you ask:

In the userform i will select a game from a different userform using a button persific to that game (i.e. halo3 xbox) and this will then be placed in the orginal first userform in a textbox caled "GameRental1". The orginal first userform also contains the details of which customer etc.

how can i get it to add the game in the correct row for that customer???? Please help me!!

You need to be specific about which userform you are picking a name from and which sheet you wish to add the data to....

lucas
06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Randy, I was busy when you were posting but I agree.....looks like things are back on track...seems Access is out of the question.

royUK
06-15-2008, 05:38 AM
For code to work with a database - entering, amending, searching look at the DataBaseForm at www.excel-it.com.

For your Games select form use a listBox or ComboBox to select games instead of individual buttons. The ListBox would be populated from the Games table.

flashdazza
06-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I choose to have all the games as idival buttons because i once a game has been selected i need its pupularity to go up by 1 and i down know how to do this in a combo box.

The code i have for the indival buttons is:

Private Sub btnGame3_Click()
gameZone.Cells(3, 4).Value = gameZone.Cells(3, 4).Value + 1
frmGamerExchange.txtRentalGame1.Value = gameZone(3, 2).Value
frmSelectGame1.Hide
End Sub

Is there a way of doing this without having to have indevual buttons?

Thanks

Ago
06-15-2008, 03:29 PM
perhaps use a textbox where the user types in a part of the name.
so they could type "call" and all "call of duty" games would populate a list.

would that work?