PDA

View Full Version : Better late than never.

Hoopsah
06-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi,

I have been using this site and this forum for a wee while now and it was only yesterday that I noticed the introductions section. I felt since I had asked for help on numerous occasions that I should at least complete this section too, (And I won't be having a go at any Yanks :) )

My name is Gerry, I use the handle Hoopsah in reference to my football allegiance being a Glasgow Celtic supporter.

I studied computing when I was at college, dabbling in C++, Pascal, COBOL and Basic. I always had an interest and had began writing rudimentary programs on a - wait for it - Sinclair ZX80 and eventually progressed to the Spectrum.

I left college and began working in Oil rig design, I blagged my way into the job because I knew how to use AutoCAD.

Years passed and I found myself returning to Scotland and got married. I took a position within local authority and worked in the finance department.

About a year ago I got a promotion within the company and now a large part of my day is spent creating reports for department figures, in came Excel. I had only ever used Excel as a calculator before, but when I started getting into it a bit more and realised the VBA language powered it I knew I could return to some programming skills.

I'm really still learning, but although I have asked for a lot of help fixing problems, this time last year the only command I knew was =SUM(A1+B1)
I'm getting a lot better now.

Hope that is enough to introduce myself, but can I also add that I am completing this section as the help on this forum has been second to none. Sure there are some eejits and some sarcastic eejits, but on the whole it has been a pleasurable learning experience. I have registered with quite a few (Mr Excel, The Microsoft software forum, Office experts........) and although they are all good sites, I have really found VBAExpress to be the best.

So, thanks for all your help, both now and in the future and once again - Hi :wavey:

Oorang
06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the board:)