PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Automatically update spelling if master word is changed

RECrerar
06-30-2008, 05:23 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to automatically update several instances of a word when a master version of that word is changed.

Specifically I'm writing a document, I have component name that is not yet finalised. I would like to be able to automatically update the whole document with the new name if and when the name is updated. I was envisaging specifying one instant of the word as the master and then setting all subsequent instance to be the same as this. Is this possible?

I know I could do this quite simply with find and replace but am curious to see if it can be done automatially, I don't really know much about automating word yet

Tinbendr
06-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Here's one way.

File-> Properties-Change title to temp name.

Wherever you need the document title to appear in the document, Insert->Document Information->Title->OK (Don't enter anything in the field properties.)

When you need to change the name, File->Properties-Change the Title name.-OK Select all text (Ctrl-A), then F9.

This is no faster than Find/Replace, but it is a little safer in that you won't inadvertantely replace something you don't want to.

You could add a shortcut key to a macro to auto insert the field for you.

Also, you can use Bookmark/Ref field, but bookmarks have a annoying habit of getting deleted without notice, so I tend to like this method better.

fumei
06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Put the word in a formfield. Make sure it is set as Calculate on exit.

Where you want it to be duplicated press Ctl-F9, type the name of the formfield.

When you change the text of the formfield (the "master"), the other fields will update.

RECrerar
07-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks guys, those both seem useful; suggestions, have gone with Fumei's one which seems to be working nicely, although the time I spent figuring out how to do it, I think find and replace would have been quicker, but at least I've learnt something new.

Thanks

fumei
07-06-2008, 05:24 AM
You may also wish to try putting your "master" text in a bookmark, then making the other places an INCLUDETEXT field.