PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Help with Experimental Grade Sheet

gregj
07-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Hello all,

Well I have to say thanks again for the solutions provided here...My boss was most impressed and I am going to share this site with her, as well as some of the course directors. If they see how solutions can help them in their day to day tasks then perhaps they won't be so scared of change......:banghead:

Attached is the file we were working with before, in which a scroller was designed to show a graph that showed students grades....so cool.

I have added some grade columns b/c we may offer more exams this year (oh joy) if one opens the chart source data you can see that I have changed the x column to include subject and grade.... I would love to be able to do this so it extends all the way through the data as opposed to having to manually do this on a student by student basis. Is this possible?

Secondly, despite my best efforts, I have not been able to duplicate the process of creating a scroller within a chart. Is there a step by step out there for me? I have looked at some of the ones via MS but they don't seem to work as well as this one.

figment
07-01-2008, 07:18 AM
is this what your looking for?

Sub ChartUpdate()
Dim Rng As String, Rw As Long
Rw = Range("M1").Value + 2
'Modify data range
Rng = "$C$" & Rw & ":$AL$" & Rw

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 2").Select
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Formula = "=SERIES(,,Sheet1!" & Rng & ",1)"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=Sheet1!$C$1:$BM$2"
'Return activation to sheet
Range("A1").Activate
End Sub

Bob Phillips
07-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Do you know, I would also dropdown the student's name so as to be able to go straight to someone.

MOS MASTER
07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi gregj, :yes

Would you be so kind to give your topic a more descriptive title?
This way people will understand what the topic is about.

Aussiebear
07-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Greg, There are a number of sites which you can find by Googling the topic interactive charting.

Try:
http//pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/lparticle.asp?id=518
http//:spbasic.com/ExcelCharts.html
www.angelawolff.com.uk/Excel-Expert.Scrolling.html

In the first one there are a number of other links, that you might also find very interesting, namely Jon Pielter's site

gregj
07-02-2008, 06:17 AM
In the code provided so generously as found above, when I pasted all of it, saved and then restarted the app, this line of code came up as yellow with a runtime error attached to it of 1004

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=Sheet1!$C$1:$BM$2"

"unable to set formula property of the series class"

any suggestions?

gregj
07-02-2008, 08:50 AM
After a little tinkering around I fixed it.... then found an error..... I am hoping someone can look at the sheet and see what this problem is.

What I am trying to accomplish is to have the chart read accurately for all students....

figment
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
in the sample you posted every grade is 55, other then this the chart seems to be working

gregj
07-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I think I figured it out.... and I guess I was being hasty and didn't update the macro.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

I will mark as solved....

Bob Phillips
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Can I just add as a closing statement that I think that is a quite good example of effective use of charts. It is good.