PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Changes / Sharing a workbook

Hoopsah
07-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Hi,

I have written a report that will be getting used by about 15 people at any given time.

I have tried sharing the workbook, but it only records tha last person to save's details.

i.e. John saves to workbook at 9.00
Sarah saves to workbook at 9.01

Only sarahs saves are recorded.

Is there any way around this? Is there something I can build into the report that will allow all users write access and save permission.

Cheers Guys

Hoopsah

Bob Phillips
07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Gerry,

I think there is no solution to this problem (I may be wrong, but I just wouldn't touch shared workbooks as they are nothing but grief) if you use shared workbooks.

Using a database to store the data and Excel as a front-end, with code to retrieve and update would be far more up-front work, but it will be far more powerful and flexible in the longer term.

Hoopsah
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi Bob,

when you say use a database do you mean like Access?

If so, I have absolutely no knowledge of access - I have used databases in the past but it was all a long time ago.........

Bob Phillips
07-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Yes I do mean Access.

I am not suggesting that you learn all about Acess, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, or even learn a little bit of Access, other than creating an Access database with tables (although you can even do that from Excel).

You would have to learn a little bit about database table structures, and then a bit of SQL, although you would probably only scratch the surface of SQL, and also some access methodology, such as ADO.

As I say, more up-front work, but none of the shared workbook problems, multi-access, a bit of data security, and so on.

Bob Phillips
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Well actually I mean SQL Server, but Access will do for your number of users.

Hoopsah
07-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Cheers Bob,

I will have a go with Access and see what I can get - wouldn't be over surprised if I end up in the Access forum asking for help too.

Cheers again though Bob, I didn't want to spend loads of time trying to get this working and just banging my head against a wall.

Thanks for your help Bob

Gerry

Bob Phillips
07-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Well post back when you hit an impasse, we have libraries of code for this sort of thing. I personally prefer ADO technology.