PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Preview Autotext Entry

dchapin
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
More autotext issues...

I have a form where I list available autotext options. I would like to have a [?] button next to each entry which when clicked will open another form and display an example or preview of the autotext entry. I have searched and find some info about using a Rich Text Control to display the formatted autotext entry. This sounds like exactly what I want to do but when I right click on my toolbox Microsoft Rich Text Control 6.0 is not a selectable item in the list.

I am using word 2000. Is this control not available to me or is there some other potential problem.

Are there any other ways to accomplish what I am looking to do? The user will really want to be able to preview these things before selecting them.

Any help would be great!
THX
DC

MOS MASTER
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi DC, :yes

The Microsoft Rich Text Control 6.0 (richtx32.ocx) should be in C:\Windows\System32 if it's not there then it's missing from your windows installation.

But I wouldn't go that way at all.
rich text boxes where used years ago (and a lot of other ActiveX controls) but nowdays with all the new Security features that Microsoft implemented most of these controls don't work anymore.

And to emphize the Microsoft Rich Text Control 6.0 is Not allowed anymore in MS Forms (userforms) by MS. (Unsafe)

But I'm wondering about your question. Do you're users realy want to preview the full richtext format?

Wouldn't it be enough for them to see the text?

If it's RTF thay want then will look further for solutions.

HTH

dchapin
07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
maybe not, many of our autotext entries include tables and special formatting and fonts that the user will need to see to decide if it is really what they want.

What do ya think?

Thanks
Dan

MOS MASTER
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi,

Well it's a question of doing it the Hard way (rich text) or the easy way just text.

But if you have such high formatting in your autotext entries and you have a lot of them then I can see your problem.

I see 2 sollutions:
1. you have 2000 in the company which doesn't have all the big problems with security then you can go ahead and try the rich text box. A sollution is described here: <Click> (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.vba.userforms&tid=c3ce2b3f-2880-4086-8b55-3c26e9a2622f&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1)

2. You could have a dialog with 3 buttons:
2.1 Preview button: Inserts the autotext in the document (surrounded by a bookmark)
2.2 Ok button: Leaves the autotext but removes the bookmarks
2.3 Cancel button: If the bookmark exists (surrounding the temp autotext) then the autotext entrie is removed

With version 2 you can think up all sorts of scenarious for buttons but the general idea is to Insert the autotext in the document with the option for the user to remove it by a button click when it's not the correct one.

So I'd say think about what you want.

HTH

dchapin
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Well, I do not think option 2 will work at all. See, I have a form with several tabs, on each tab I display options that can be inserted into the document. These options include comboboxes which hold variations. If the user wants an option the check a box next to the item they want and use the combo to select the variation. They may chose 1 to however many options from a tab and various variations available for the selected options. When the click a Build-It button, the document is built with all of the options/variations they have selected to use. I need them to be able to preview the item BEFORE inserting it into the document.

As for the rich text box, the security options make me somewhat nervous, but more importantly, I cannot even add a rich ext box option to my toolbar. I have right clicked on the toolbox and tried to add it buit it does not exist in the list. I have reinstalled word and still nothin. SOOOOO guess perhaps thats the powers that be telling me it wasnt a safe way to go anyway.

I have toyed with creating a new doc pasting the autotext and immediately creating a print preview, but thats just ugly. I have been racking my brain trying to think of a creative way... I am thinking that this is just not possible.

I will leave this open for a while just to see if anyone else has any creative ideas, but most likely I will have tio just walk away....... Darn, I hate to give up.

Thanks for the ideas!
Dan

MOS MASTER
07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi Dan, :yes

You're welcome and I fully agree leave it open for a while to see if someone else has a good idea.

Good luck

fumei
07-06-2008, 03:56 AM
It sounds to me more like a proper training issuse for your users, and having the appropriate templates for them to work with.

dchapin
07-06-2008, 06:41 AM
I did chuckle when I read your reply here. I think you are correct that the issue becomes, On some level, in some instances, training. I do however, totally disagree with you here. I do NOT think that it is unreasonable for users to expect to be able to preview an option, where there have thousands of combinations to choose from and it is NOT a training issue. Autotext limits us to only a few characters to describe the entry.

I think realistically, that using a method OTHER than autotext is REALLY the answer. I dont really know how you train someone to deal with the quantity of options available to them simply by training.

Go out to an automobile manufacturer web site. You pick your colors, your sports package, your interior.....bla bla bla, and guess what, it shows you on the screen what your choice looks like. Even when you wade through thousands of available models/styles/colors and other options, you are able to see the end result BEFORE purchasing it. THEY DIDNT HAVE TO EDUCATE ME sight unseen about the shade of blue I am selecting, using just a few characters of text.

I do agree, that in many instances, training IS the answer, but not here. Using a different technology is more likely the correct and realistic answer.

Thanks so much for your reply.
Dan

fumei
07-08-2008, 09:36 AM
"Go out to an automobile manufacturer web site. "

"THEY DIDNT HAVE TO EDUCATE ME"

True. Except you are using Word (a word processor)...not a web site.

I was not saying that training was the only answer. You are quite correct in that it is likely more of a processing/design issue. "Thousands" of choices is a poor design in a word processor.

That is the key, it is a word processor. It is not a layout application, nor a graphics application.

One possible suggestion. You could have detailed descriptions of the entries, saved as Variables, and when the user picks Yadda as a possible autotext on the userform, that detailed description is displayed on the userform.

All in all though, yes, it is possible that "using a method OTHER than autotext is REALLY the answer."

dchapin
07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks Steve! I do like the variable idea to afford me more space to elaborate a description. That could work for me. Yep, I agree that a word processor is not the best place to do what I am doing, the way that I am doing it. The outcome of my code though was to generate an appropriate customer letter based upon the users selections. Generating customer letters is a function that you would use a word processor for, so that is just where I started, but most likely not where I will end up, but a little education never hurt anyone.

Once again thanks so much for your help and input. You guys are great!
Dan

fumei
07-08-2008, 10:15 AM
It is Gerry...I have to change that quote from Steve, but I like it so much. Oh well.

I do this all the time - generate letters based on user selection/choices. There are a number of ways of going about it, but essentially there are two basic approaches. Both approaches use a template.

1. Adding content, based on user choice.

2. Removing content, based on user choice.

It is also possible (I have done this) to combine both methods.

Further, it is quite reasonable to have a "main" user interface that (depending on user choice) utilizes other templates to construct the final document.

In either case, it really comes down to - as usual - to logic. In determining what is needed.