PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Database/application - BIG PROJECT

astra84
07-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi All,

I have a challenge,

If possible i would like a Holiday Booking application in access. What im after seems a bit on the big side, But im pretty sure someone can do it.

I will explain how i want it to work and then you can ask for any further info and weather it is possible or not. I think its going to be a big project but there is no real time limit on it.

Here Goes,
What i want is a database/application that enables workers to book holidays. They will select a day or week or what ever they need, Then an automatic email will be sent to there manager (seems easy so far)heres the twist Certain workers report to certain managers ie workers 1 2 3 4 5 report to manager A, workers 6 7 8 9 10 report to manager B and so on. But to stop any body booking a day for another worker it would need to be password protected. The way i would like the password protection to work is that the USERNAME and PASSWORD is only requested once the DAY/S are selected. the worker can then confirm his days and the email will be sent to his/her manager. Another thing that might cause a problem is there is a maximum amount of people that can have an holiday per shift (I cant remember what that is at the MO as it variers by department and day). If 2 have Monday 7th July off and a third person requests it a message would pop up on the screen staying that it is fully booked, Maybe if possible an email could be sent to their manager to let them know they would like they day off in case the day come availble or it is not very busy. I think this is about it. If you need any more info please drop me an email.

Here are a few fact on the warehouse workforce/style
200 plus workers
10 plus managers
3 main shifts 6am till 2pm, 2pm till 10pm, 10pm till 6am,
A few people work 8am till 4pm, 10am till 6pm,
Half day holidays are available,
two week maximum for holidays - anything more would need special permission.
Holidays have to be booked at least 1 week in advance,
If needed/possible the managers could have admin rights to confirm the holidays.

I understand this is a BIG thing to do, Like a said there is no real time limit.

Regards Chris

OBP
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
It is not a particularly big project, I already have a couple of "leave" type databases that could be tailored to meet your requirement.
However I can't agree with your password sequence, The database should be secured so that all users have to Log in with an ID and Password, which also sets what they can and can't do in the database.
Providing there is no real rush for this I can handle it for you, but I am currently sharing my time between 2 forums and working on 6 other databases. :)

astra84
07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Thats Brilliant, No there is no real time limit. How long do you think it will take.

Thanks

OBP
07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Chris, it will depend on how much modifying or development will be needed on the databases that I already have and how busy I am.