PDA

View Full Version : Excel File Sharing Communication Tool

mailman
07-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi all.

I'd like to write something that will Alert users who have a file open to let them know someone else is waiting to use that file (preferably shows which user).

Does anyone know if there is some way to do this?

:dunno

choubix
07-17-2008, 08:30 AM
we are using a workbook shared by 8 persons. only one has write/read priviledges, the others are read only.

we you open the workbook as a read only user their is automatically a pop up showing up to let you know you status + the id of the person who's the "owner" of the workbook.

i think we didnt change anything to the vba code for this message to show up.

the good thing is: when the file is released, excel shows a pop up with a message so you can get R/Write privileges.

mailman
07-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the response choubix.

Sounds like the built-in feature Excel provides that you're talking about. We kind of rely on that, however the problem is we've got a few people with read-write access (password based).

What I'm looking for is more of a Nudge tool I guess. It's primary goal is to Nudge the person who has the file open to let them know there's someone waiting to use the file in case they're just sitting there with it open in the background somewhere.

I'm thinking the alert (nudge) would say something like:

Username is trying to access this file. If you're not using it, please close out of it.

I was thinking further that it would be a button the person opening the file could click on to alert that user.
Just due to the annoyance/invasion factor of something like this, I doubt it exists, but we don't use any kind of Instant Messaging software in our environment, so was hoping for this as a workaround

something like that anyways.

Oh yeah, I'd be running this out of Excel 2003..

choubix
07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
not sure you can communicate with other users via vba. hope someone with more experience will be able to help you more.

as for us we use instant messaging in the office as we know who are the few guilty of holding the file for too long ;)

TomSchreiner
07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi Mailman.

You can do this using NetDDE or by way of WinSock. Another alternative, if you are unable to use the above is to watch the shared folder or any folder that all users have access to. Using several API functions, each opened workbook can be notified by username or as a general broadcast. I have used this method to shutdown all "left open" workbooks. I'm sure that it could be suited for a poor mans messenger so to speak. :) The short list of function that you would need is:

FindFirstChangeNotification
FindNextChangeNotification
FindCloseChangeNotification
WaitForSingleObject

If you are interested and need help trying this out, let me know and I'll work up an example for you.