PDA

View Full Version : Shared Workbook Woes

Nologik
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey guys I have 2 questions both regarding shared workbooks:

I developed an excel workbook that does a lot of work for the end user, none of which is saved into the workbook itself but onto other workbooks. I kept releasing new versions as new reports needed to be run but it is getting tiring. I was wondering if I could share the workbook and load it on the network drive and create shortcuts on the end users' desktop so that anytime I change or update the workbook, the end user automatically goes into it? Any drawbacks or problems with this method?

2nd question:

When the workbook is shared the [Shared] appears in the workbook title bar so how would appactivate to activate itself work when it's done working with the other workbooks. Appactivate seems to fail with shared workbooks. Any better ways guys?

THanks!

Bob Phillips
07-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Don't share it, if it doesn't get changed just make it read-only, any number can then open it.

The only drawback is if the network is down, or the users down close the workbook down at the end of each day, no allowing for users.

Nologik
07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, with read only seems like the [read only] caption appears at the title bar and preventing appactivate from working?

Bob Phillips
07-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Why do you need AppActivate?

Nologik
07-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I need appactivate for switching between a rumba mainframe display and multiple excel workbooks

Bob Phillips
07-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Okay, you got me, I have no idea what a rumba mainframe display is.

How about making it an addin instead of a workbook?