PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help with Number Custom Format

RHurlburt
03-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I have attached an example sheet of what I would like to do. Basically, there are two problems.
First:
I have negative and positive results that I would like to portray as block arrows up, or down, using Number Custom Format, in a cell next to the result. In the example attached, I have been able to display two different symbols in this manner, but not the "block arrows".

Second:
I would also like to display a round circle in red, green or yellow (like a traffic signal) which would depend on criteria established by a formula ... ie, if I have 3 criteria and all three are positve, the result is a "green light". If two of the criteria are positive and one negative, the result is a "yellow light". If one or none of the criteria result in negatives, the result is a "red light".

Although it would be simpler to use Number Custom Format, I suspect my only answer is VBA.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Richard

CBrine
03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
For the first part, use this custom formatting.

[Green]"?";[Red]"?"

And change the font to Symbol.

If will give you the Up and down colored arrows.

HTH
Cal

For the second part, have you though about using conditional formatting to just change the cell background color, as opposed to using shapes. The shapes will require vba code and someway to resolve where the cell is to put the shape on it. Conditional formatting will not require code and will be much easier.

Cal

RHurlburt
03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Well, slap me down and call me shorty!!

It just absolutely eluded me using another font. I used "Wingdings" and with the formula I had, I got exactly the up and down arrows.

How great!!

Now, maybe something similar using the Wingding solution ... or I may need to go to VBA.

Let's call this resolved for right now unless you have something for the signal lights. I will do some experimenting with the wingding in the meantime. If I get nowhere, will reopen this thread.

THANKS!!!!

Richard

CBrine
03-01-2005, 11:10 AM
A quick idea. Use your character map program to look at all available characters in a font.

Click Start
Programs
Accessories
System Tools
and start the Character Map program.

HTH
Cal