PDA

View Full Version : Can text be extracted from MS Word and placed in an Excel spreadsheet?

nisaia
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I have been assigned a task to search specific type of information in a Word document, extract it, and place it into an Excel spreadsheet. However, I have virtually no experience with VBA. :dunno My first question, then, is: is this sort of task possible with VBA? Secondly, in desperation, I have already ordered the book "Mastering VBA," by Guy Hart-Davis. Is anyone familiar with it? If so, what is your opinion of the book for a newbie? Any help would be appreciated.

macropod
07-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi nisaia,

Extracting text from a Word document and inserting it into Excel is certainly possible. Depending on what you want to transfer and how you want it presented in Excel, it might even be possible to do it with a simple copy & paste.

If, however, your Word data are not well structured, even developing a vba solution can be complex. See my post today in http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20905 for a discussion of some of the issues with the OP's data.

If you could post a representative (sanitized) sample of your data, someone should be able to advise you further.

nisaia
07-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi macropod,

Thanks for your reply. For now, I just wanted to know if what I need to do was even possible. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice once I get going on this project and have more specifics.

Have a great day! :yes