PDA

View Full Version : Can not open Access Files in Access 2003

MWE
07-22-2008, 09:23 AM
I recently (a week ago) installed Office 2003 on a new laptop (purchased a few weeks ago) running WinXP SP2. I copied many files from my old laptop which was running Office 2000 and WinXP SP2. I can not successfully open any Access files created in Access 2000 (on the old laptop) that have VBA in the background. I get an error message indicating that I need to update the version of MS Jet4.0 on my system; in particular

"Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 or later must be installed to block unsafe expressions without affecting common functionality."

So I downloaded the identified update and tried to install it. But I am informed that the SP of WinXP I am running does not need this update:

KB829558 SetUp Error
Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying

There is no need to install this update

Per the MS web page, this update is from 15-Oct-2003, so it is not surprizing that the system thinks it is old (new laptop has new load of WinXP from manufacturer). There appears to be no update beyond SP8 and no newer version of SP8.

What do I do?

OBP
07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
MWE, have you tried opening a Blank Access 2003 database and Importing everything from one of those Non Working databases to see if it will then run?
I know this is probably not the best or only answer to your proble, but at least it would give you an Indication of whether or not those databases are salvagable.

MWE
07-22-2008, 10:41 AM
MWE, have you tried opening a Blank Access 2003 database and Importing everything from one of those Non Working databases to see if it will then run?
I know this is probably not the best or only answer to your proble, but at least it would give you an Indication of whether or not those databases are salvagable.I can create a blank access 2003 database and then import everything, but that does not solve the fundamental problem. Access 2003 (at least the version I have) does not "allow" VBA macros because of the above mentioned security issue. I have to find a way to update the Jet database to SP8. The other alternative is to uninstall Access2003 and install Access2000 in its place.

Dr.K
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I've had this same issue, but it was complicated by my corporate shares: 2003 would open a 2000 DB if the file was local to the PC, but NOT if the file was on a shared drive.

Also, sounds like you are having a security problem, not a version problem... Can you adjust your macro security? Do you have full control over security settings, or are you in a managed security environment?

For example, there are a lot of things I can't do with VBA in Outlook, becuase our IT staff has Outlook completely locked down.

My company is scheduled to go 2003 next week... Now I'm gonna have to go double check ALL of our Access DBs... Thanks, I think. ;)

MWE
07-22-2008, 03:53 PM
I've had this same issue, but it was complicated by my corporate shares: 2003 would open a 2000 DB if the file was local to the PC, but NOT if the file was on a shared drive.

Also, sounds like you are having a security problem, not a version problem... Can you adjust your macro security? Do you have full control over security settings, or are you in a managed security environment?

For example, there are a lot of things I can't do with VBA in Outlook, becuase our IT staff has Outlook completely locked down.

My company is scheduled to go 2003 next week... Now I'm gonna have to go double check ALL of our Access DBs... Thanks, I think. ;)Setting the macro security level does not solve the problem. It stops the messages about the Jet DB, but the fundamental problem, i.e., no VBA, is still there.

The problem is a bit more complicated. I was able to determine that I am running SP8 of Jet 4. But the version number, 4.0.9511.0 is associated with WinXP SP3 and I am running WinXP SP2, so there is something quite strange here.

Update: I forgot to mention that I have complete control over my system; no IT dept messing things up.

I have a temporary workaround, I loaded Acc2000, found the DAO dll on my old system that was missing in the newest WInXP load on my new system, added it and Acc2000 runs fine (so far).

OBP
07-23-2008, 03:10 AM
Have you tried that dll with Access 2003?

MWE
07-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Have you tried that dll with Access 2003?Pretty obvious thing to try, huh?

Well, until you mentioned it, I had not tried, but I did and Acc2003 seems to run without VBA problems at least with the two db files I tried. If I leave the macro security setting at Low, Acc2003 does not complain. If I set macro security to Medium, Acc2003 presents one warning after another about potential problems, the blocking of unsafe expressions (Jet 4 SP8 issues), and so on. One has to navigate through 4 or 5 such windows before the file actually opens. It works, but is a bit of a pain. I will probably go back to Acc2000 until I sort out the Jet4 SP8 problem.

Thanks.