PDA

View Full Version : Can I edit a source cell from the linked cell?

dbancroft
07-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Hello all,

I'm positive that this is a dumb question that's been answered elsewhere, so pardon my n00bness -- this is a one-time project for a non-programmer.

My manager needs to edit values in a spreadsheet. This person is non-technical and put off by spreadsheets, so I want to create a custom view of the data to show only the editable data (with pretty colors and fonts, etc.)

I have a source worksheet and a display worksheet. I need the display worksheet to show the values in the source worksheet, and I need changes in the display sheet to change the referenced data in the source sheet. For example, if cell Source:A1 = "thingamabob", then cell Display:A1 = "thingamabob". If user changes cell Display:A1 to "hoodgie", then cell Source:A1 changes to "hoodgie".

Essentially, the user has to be able to edit the source cell via the display cell.

Is that possible?

Again, please excuse my ignorance -- for all I know, this may be an automated function in Excel... but I've been trying to figure it out for two hours and so I thought I'd ask you nice people.

Thank you!!

Deb.

mdmackillop
07-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Deb, Welcome to VBAX

I don't believe you can do this without code. In the attached file, changes in Column 1 of Source or Display will be reflected in both sheets

Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
Select Case Sh.Name
Case "Display"
Sheets("Source").Range(Target.Address) = Target.Value
Case "Source"
Sheets("Display").Range(Target.Address) = Target.Value
End Select
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

CaptRon
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Hello dbancroft,

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333194

When you "cross-post" to another forum, it is considered proper etiquette to mention that. Anyway, I posted an answer over yonder, though you may have found a solution here as well.

Ron

dbancroft
07-31-2008, 04:43 AM
Whoops! Sorry about that -- thanks for the answer, I'll take a look.