PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Worksheet_Change and .PasteSpecial

TheAntiGates
08-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Would Worksheet_Change be triggered by
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlPasteSpecialOperationAdd
? I'm seeming to see that it's not in a project I'm on now. application.enableEvents is true.

Bob Phillips
08-06-2008, 08:29 AM
It looks as if it is to me.

malik641
08-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't get what you mean by "seeming to see", but it should trigger the _Change event to the workbook that's being effected.

Post more of the code. Let's see what's really going on.

TheAntiGates
08-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Thank you for confirming that it appears amiss. There are hundreds of code lines, but here are key elements:

The change code isPrivate Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If (Target.row = 49) And (Target.Column = 8) Then Stop
End Sub
.ClearContents empties the target cell; .pastespecial puts a value there (empty or blank becomes 90); the Stop does not happen. However, if I now hit the delete key on the cell of interest, it fires. .EnableEvents is never explicitly set, though .DisplayAlerts and .ScreenUpdating are toggled.

(The code is Sheet19 code)

TheAntiGates
08-08-2008, 11:23 AM
This had a logical explanation. Change event fires once for a block paste, not once per cell; so what arrives as Target.column is the first column in the range. Too bad. I really hoped to monitor one of those cells this way, such as you could set a breakpoint on a variable in Turbo Debugger or CodeView. I guess I could save the prior value in a global and test it manually in the change area.

Now that I think of it, maybe the valuable lesson here is to test .Intersect instead of .row and .column above. I think I'll adopt that policy hence. Maybe define my range to monitor for changes as Foo (even if one cell only) and
If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("Foo")) Is Nothing Then stop

Bob Phillips
08-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Check each cell

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Target

If (cell.Row = 49) And (cell.Column = 8) Then Stop
Next cell
End Sub

TheAntiGates
08-08-2008, 11:52 AM
In lieu of Intersect? I'll try to run speed tests. It's no surprise when Microsoft-written functions are slower than home grown - but I sure wouldn't have guessed that here.

Bob Phillips
08-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Nothing to do with Intersect, or Row/Column, it is all about checking each cell in target.