PDA

View Full Version : Solved: UDF Inserting Unwanted Quotation Marks

tyndale2045
08-07-2008, 02:09 PM
I have a UDF called Breed_Standard that I am trying to use. My goal is to use range names with the VLOOKUP function (so as to avoid making long and confusing IF formulas). Check out the attached workbook, and you'll see what I mean.

My problem is this: It appears that Excel is enclosing the result of the UDF in quotation marks. The quotes prevent Excel from recognizing said result as a range name. Thus, the formula fails.

What to do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

[Later edit: Woops, I now see that the example I've sent does not actually include the long IF formula in the cell with the second comment. If you want to see the giant IF statement, though, let me know. I'm sure you'll find it as boring and confusing as I do.]

Norie
08-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Sorry, but your UDF is doing exactly what you are telling it to.:)

Try this.

=VLOOKUP(D3,INDIRECT(Breed_Standard(C3)),2,FALSE)

tyndale2045
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Works great! Thanks a bunch Norie.

tyndale2045
08-08-2008, 05:23 AM
I'm curious about something (and I'm trying to learn better programming practices, especially about being concise):

You said my UDF is doing exactly what I've told it to do. Is there any way to just alter the UDF so that it functions as I was hoping? That is, is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish without using the INDIRECT function?

[I know that Norie is the guru of concise programming, but I'm open to suggestions from anyone.]

Thanks,
Jim

Bob Phillips
08-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Function Breed_Standard(Breed_Code As String) As Range
Application.Volatile
Select Case Breed_Code
Case "4/F", "C/F"
Set Breed_Standard = Range("Cobb")
Case "4/L", "1/L"
Set Breed_Standard = Range("Hubbard")
End Select
End Function

Bob Phillips
08-08-2008, 05:40 AM
Better to get rid of that nasty Application Volatile

Function Breed_Standard(Breed_Code As Range) As Range
Select Case Breed_Code.Value
Case "4/F", "C/F"
Set Breed_Standard = Range("Cobb")
Case "4/L", "1/L"
Set Breed_Standard = Range("Hubbard")
End Select
End Function

as it is not needed since you pass the range in to the argument, so it will recalculate when it changes